Discuss Cable markers - what do people use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wow, there are more joints in there than the whole of Amsterdam ;)

I much prefer the coloured markers, I find it much easier to identify the colours than to read the little numbers, especially when you are working on a joint box with a few circuits in with poor light.

View attachment 52205
dave. that should be exhibited in the National Gallery. It's a work of art.

I didn't think you were allowed to post pron photos here :D
Sad thing is when you come back a few years later and find some **** has bo****ked it all up :mad:

Thanks everyone, some food for thought and various options available! Going to try some Partex ones I think!

Re: the additional cost, I fully intend to be known as the electrician that goes the extra mile, as I know from experience that this is what gets repeat business, not the price the customer pays (up to a limit of course!). It's the same reason I always try and fit an emergency bulkhead light near the board where practical.
That’s a nice touch fitting an emergency light. I have never seen that in a domestic before. Well played ?

Only 96 circuits in each box
OK, I know it's not a bragging thread, but a couple of jobs ago. Sorry about the picture quality, taken with my phone which at the time only had a lousy camera.

The front, middle rack has phone connections at top and ethernet hubs at the bottom. Racks either side have connections to network outlets - heading on for 1000 including the small rack in another building. Patch leads all colour coded - yellow for ethernet, green for telephone, blue for serial (we still had heading on for 100 serial terminals and printers back then), and red for "don't even think about unplugging that" circuits ;)
Cable markers - what do people use? Photo_012407_001 - EletriciansForums.netCable markers - what do people use? Photo_012407_002 - EletriciansForums.net
Back of the phone connections. Different wirting for different connection types (analogue, digital, ISDN). Needed a crib sheet to keep track of how to wire those. o_O
Cable markers - what do people use? Photo_012407_004 - EletriciansForums.netCable markers - what do people use? Photo_012407_005 - EletriciansForums.net
And the back of the racks with the bundles of cables coming down the cable tray and fanning out to the patch panel connections
Cable markers - what do people use? Photo_012407_006 - EletriciansForums.netCable markers - what do people use? Photo_012407_007 - EletriciansForums.net
I liked when people would take a peek in the server room and express about how complicated all that wiring looks. Each cable has 4 pairs in it (when in form, I could manage just one or two errors in 100 outlets (two ends each)) - but all the same and all connected the same, so really not complicated. The most complicated was the phone system where the digital extension ports used one pair each, the analogue extension ports also used one pair each but to avoid needing adapters at the user end I added ring capacitors on the back of the panels, and the ISDN ports used two pairs each and I doubled up so each port has two sockets on the patch panel (an ISDN-2 connection can have more than one device on it).

The most "fun" part of that job was when a department manager would call and say "we've just moved, can you come and re-connect us". It was then a drop everything else, work out where their users had been connected to before they unplugged everything, and move the patch panels to where they are now sat.

Oh yes, and coming back to the topic of the thread. If you look at the last two of those photos, you'll see that I used labels (Brother machine) to identify the cables with little flags. This was before they brought out "flag tape" with a different glue, and sure enough, a lot of the flags have come unstuck :(

Reply to Cable markers - what do people use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock