Discuss Cable method for sumerhouse power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm just looking over a job putting power to a summer house but am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how to lay the cable.

The cable length from the house is 50M going up the house side wall, across a patio, up a 10m wall (onto a balcony garden) then across a balcony garden (through shrubbery and banking up at a 40 degree gradient) to the summer house. The garden is open to the neighbours gardens (so potential trip hazzard / eye sore) and there is a tree in the direct path of the cable meaning roots (so no trench).

I see 3 options: swa on cable tray on posts, t&e in rigid metal conduit on posts, t&e in flexible metal conduit on posts

If anyone has done similar and has an opinion would be appreciated?

This sounds like an interesting one. Can't wait to see what idea's come up.

Will the customer be happy with cable tray on posts or is that an eye sore, if it's not going round the edge of the property?
Any pics of proposed route? Hard to envisage route from description.

Some people have no standards just lash it in "it will do"" a blind man will be happy to see that".

I've lost count of how many times I have seen so called sparks just leaving swa laying on the earth/grass or clipped to wooden fences. I have lost many jobs where I refuse to do that.

I would only ever use swa and can't see any benefit to running singles or twin/earth in trunking.

I've lost count of how many times I have seen so called sparks just leaving swa laying on the earth/grass or clipped to wooden fences.

standard modern install

See this all the time

SWA thrown in , the occasional cleat on every other fence post. Sometimes a bit of top Soil thrown over it for a pukka job...
Of course Not glanded properly , no earth connection on the armour.

You can buy 3 core armoured in single phase colours from any good wholesaler.

The problem is they often don't stock it in the branch as it costs slightly more than 3 phase colours.

Reply to Cable method for sumerhouse power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock