Discuss Cable trays in domestic installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes I know, but as the idea was to use unnecessary methods I thought I'd stick with the plan.
You would need to lift a hell of a lot of flooring to work to your plan Mate, and what about cutting notches in the joists? your method would destroy most of the joists.
[automerge]1587318704[/automerge]
customer: "i want all my underfloor cables on 600mm tray. what steps will you takee
electrician: "bloody great big ones back to the van".
Girt big ones with a smirk on my face.

Having house rewired, and thinking of making use of 600mm wide horizontal galvanised cable tray secured between joists in ceiling. Can the cables simply be layed in the tray or do the regs. require that each cable is secured to the tray & what sort of fixings are allowed?

Edit - I meant 600mm spacing on the joists. Tray would narower, depending on whats available.
[automerge]1587318898[/automerge]
You would need to lift a hell of a lot of flooring to work to your plan Mate, and what about cutting notches in the joists? your method would destroy most of the joists.
[automerge]1587318704[/automerge]

Girt big ones with a smirk on my face.

No as ceiling above is exposed and will be accessible.

Edit - I meant 600mm spacing on the joists. Tray would narower, depending on whats available.
[automerge]1587318898[/automerge]

No as ceiling above is exposed and will be accessible.
What? a sketch of your plan would help in understanding your ideas.

I've only installed tray and galv conduit in a domestic situ once. But that was in a garage and was to create an industrial look. Only benefit in a loft space is that it could make it easier to access cables in the future for additions etc, rather than having to hunt around under a foot of loft insulation..

If there was a long void between joists which was to be a main run of wiring then I can see some logic in using two separate trays secured one to the side of each joist for mains and data. In practice though many cable runs will be across the joists and will require drilling and pulling wiring through, no chance of using tray.
I think if this idea goes ahead it will eventually be filed under 'seemed like a good idea at the time'.

Definitely would not install cable tray in this situation.
Years ago cables were pushed to the perimeters & Tidied up to finished positions.
Theres plenty of timber in the loft area,& usually you get a nice route above the insulation too.

Reply to Cable trays in domestic installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net