Discuss cables for fixed appliances in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Ross Trician

Hello all, can any of you tell me wether I am correct in saying that fixed appliances, ie, ovens, hobs must be supplied with a suitable flexible cable like a h07 rather than say T+E.

I thought I had read this somewhere in the big book but cant find it. Also my understandin is that as T+E has no heat resistance as such it makes it unsuitable to use to wire a hob with that sits above an oven.

any help or where to look appareciated, thanks.

Hello all, can any of you tell me wether I am correct in saying that fixed appliances, ie, ovens, hobs must be supplied with a suitable flexible cable like a h07 rather than say T+E.

I thought I had read this somewhere in the big book but cant find it. Also my understandin is that as T+E has no heat resistance as such it makes it unsuitable to use to wire a hob with that sits above an oven.

Generally ovens, hobs, immersion heaters, boliers, pendant light fittings etc should have heat resistance flex from the unit.

Hello again,
Is there anywhere in the regs that states what should be used?

reason for the post is that I have wired a hob with heat resistant cable but it has packed in, when guy from whirlpool went out he said it should be wired in t+e as per there instructions????

I think t+e is not really suitable as once you begin to move ovens, hobs etc into place there is risk of the cable "moving" more due to its rigidity.

When you say ''packed in'', do you mean the cable burnt out or the oven and hob just stopped working?
What size flex did you use?? mm2??

not sure exactly what has happened to the hob other than its broke and being replaced.
it's a 5.5kw ceramic hob, I used 3 core 6mm heat resistant cable.

unless my calcs are wrong the cables loads beefy enuf...

going to look at it tomoz....just suprised they recomend t+e, especialy as the hob could be over an oven.

As for finding it in the Red book...well you could be looking all day but it would be logical to any spark that the T&E isn't the right application for the job.

T&E isn't designed to supply appliances and it will be interesting to see what the comments are that come back from Whirlpool as you have got plenty to argue about, too tough, earthing core could break, heat from appliance etc.

I must admit I've seen plenty of ovens and hobs connected via T&E though. :mad:

Like you say I would have probably gone for either H07 or Butyl rubber cable. However if you look at some quoted heat resistant cables you will see that they are PVC cables are not intended to be used with grease or oil. :(

Let us know what happens? :)

We know that he has used 6mm2 heat resistant flex to appliance.. But how could cable damage the oven and its operation? Wouldn't the cable just burn out and no real effect on the appliance if it was a cabling issue?.

Dan

Sounds like the subbie engineer trying to extract some money for repairing rather than sending a bill to Whirlpool and waiting months to be paid.

I have had engineers out to fault find on brand new ceramic hobs, wired in T&E and suitable flex and they have never even commented.

Agree^^^

Tell the whirlpool guy to bite himself.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using H/R flex of any type, better job than T+E anyday.:cool:

Does this include stand alone cookers then ? - as normally these are always connected in 6mm T&E, I certainly wouldnt use H/R flex for connecting a cooker !

Why not exactly? The guy has said he used 6mm 3c H/R flex Why is this wrong? He is talking about a seperate hob/oven arrangement not stand alone cookers.

Agreed stand alone cookers are usually in T+E.

Hi there

In commercial catering it is usual to wire in pvc singles provided they are sleeved in heat resistant sleeving. I have also seen t&e used also in heat resistant sleeving .

Another common burn out problem is using copper crimps instead of nickel crimp on high temp cables. we have had a 6mm t&e on our halogen hobs for a good few years :)

Cheers

Hello chaps, sorry for delay in getting back to you.

to be fare to the whirlpool guy, he has said the hob has faulted and not a wiring issue. only issue with the cable is that there "installatuon guide" says to use a T+E to supply it. He told customer to get it swaped befor they come back to swap the hob as his gaffer will come out with him and if it's not T+E they wont swap it.

additionaly, I contacted NAPIT, there response was to always follow manufacturers instructions and there was no clear regs etc on it...

Hi Ross,

If you stick to the manufacturers instructions then your back is definately covered. I must admit from a design point of view I would have done exactly what you did and supplied it with heat resistant cable.

Whirlpool obviously consider the supply of T&E to be ok and must consider the cable run and connection to be installed where the temperature range is within the tolerances of T&E?

I didn't think for a minute that the problem with the hob would have been your supply with HR cable and still think that if Whirlpool only require T&E then your customer has got a bonus of additional protection. However if you do it to what Whirlpool require, then there is no finger pointing. :)

Reply to cables for fixed appliances in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock