Discuss Cables too short in backbox in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

finlamit

DIY
Reaction score
Morning all.

I am replacing a 1g socket, with a 2g socket. Because I cant (cant be bothered :tearsofjoy:) make the hole in the wall bigger, I am going to make it surface mounted.

The cables are too short, and they do no stretch the extra distance to cover the backbox. Ive been told about these things call 'Wagos'.
I was thinking, If I was to use 3x 3-way Wagos, could I could I connect the existing ring in, ring out, and then a single short cable into the socket (Obviously there would be 3 Wagos, one for live, one for neutral and one for earth).

If I was to then spur off this (i've checked safe to spur off from), could instead use 3x 4-way Wagos, and use the last slot for the spur?

See attached image, if for nothing but a good laugh :tearsofjoy:

Thanks

M

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_115927.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 34
Yes. you can use WAGO's in the backbox. Have you thought about a "converta" socket... that's a brand of double socket that fits onto a single box.
Doesnt stick out as much as a surface mounted pattress box

Yes. you can use WAGO's in the backbox. Have you thought about a "converta" socket... that's a brand of double socket that fits onto a single box.
Doesnt stick out as much as a surface mounted pattress box
Thanks. Any issues with the way I suggested? With the 2 ring cables and 1 spur cable into the wago with a single cable coming from waho to socket?

I'll check out the converta socket. There is hardly any length to the cable so I cannot see anything working other then extending the cables.

In line splices are a good push fit connector for extending short cables.

Reply to Cables too short in backbox in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net