Discuss calculation check before i rip the flat to bits. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi folks, got a CU change to do. flat rewired circa '70's. wylex 3036 fuses.

my concern is earthing conductors. at present they are 6.0mm. TN-S.

Pefc is 700A. not sure of main fuse size, so have taken worst scenario at 100A.
referring to tables, @ 700A the disconnect time for a 100A BS1361 is 2 secs. so the adiabatic gives a S of 6.91 for the MEC.

thoughts. please.

tails from isolator to flat CU are 10mm. can only check DNO fuses if the seal fairy comes.

and there's no sign of damage over last 30 odd years. flat is minimal load. 1 cooker cct. 1 socket cct, 2 lighting. shower is off boiler which is communal. total load is probably < 20A.average.

Last edited:
if the fuse is 60A, then the adiabatic gives a MEC size of 2.19mm.so well in with 6.0mm. as you say, murdoch, common sense prevails.

Gosh Tel... I think in this case I'd be very, very tempted to employ the seal fairies. It sounds like a lot of upheaval for the customer based on the assumption that it's a 100A fuse.

even at 100A for the fuse.the 6.0mm is borderline, so i'm going to go ahead and leave it with an observation on the EIC.

An old TNS supply with 10mm tails will almost certainly have been no bigger than 60A fuse, in my humble opinion.

The fuse is almost bound to fall out when you do the cu change, why not make sure it is only a 60A?
I never seek authorisation to reduce a fuse rating, only to increase it.
As a matter of course my DNO replaces 100A fuses with 80s whenever they come accross them, often the meters are only rated at 80A anyway.

Then when they meter gets changed to one of those new fangled smart meters, they'll put in a 100A main fuse.

Then when they meter gets changed to one of those new fangled smart meters, they'll put in a 100A main fuse.

Meter fitters do not have the authority to uprate a fuse.
There have been issues with 100A fuses in cutouts. The fuses will take a sustained overload for a considereable period of time and if subjected to such an overload the fuse carrier gets very warm, some of the fuse carriers in the newer cutouts were unable to cope with this heat and became damaged.

no way. meter monkeys aren't allowed to do anything that technical.

Yep,they'll jam as big a fuse in as they can....they don't want it blowing,and lose all that lovely data...

We had a job a while back it had a bit of wet string (ok it looked about 2.5 but in old money)from the incoming cable sheath to the earth terminal we asked the DNO to replace it. They flatly refused say that the checked Ze and it was only 0.24 ohms so was ok.

Reply to calculation check before i rip the flat to bits. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock