Discuss Can I connect a 1000W with a 600w smart fan speed controller? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to have a clear view of is ok to connect a 1000W industrial fan to a 400W Tuya smart fan controller. I have some knowledge about the electricity but I'm not totally sure if it matters the switch load as long as the fan has is own capacitor.

I'm asking this as I cannot find to buy a smart controller for the fan above 600w load.

I got few crypto mining rigs and need them ventilated. I want the fan speed to be controlled via Smart Life app using automation feature linked to the smart thermostat. And set the fan speed according to the room temperature.

Got already in place this system using 200W industrial fans, but need bigger fans. So I need to know if is any danger connecting the 1000w fan to the 400W smart fan speed controller.

Thank you in advance!

No, a 1000w load can’t be connected to a controller that is rated less than 1000w
Thanks James.

I actually connected it and it seems to be working and I'm not saying I did the right thing.

I'm asking now, even if it runs, what can go wrong?

The fan still has connected it's own capacitor. The motor won't be connected directly to the switch. See photos attached

Or, is there any way I could raise the load on the controller by adding/replacing any components. I got great soldering skills as I do phone microchip leve repairs.

Thanks for your time

Attachments

• Can I connect a 1000W with a 600w smart fan speed controller? IMG20210908193525 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG20210908193525.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 9
Thanks James.

I actually connected it and it seems to be working and I'm not saying I did the right thing.

I'm asking now, even if it runs, what can go wrong?

The fan still has connected it's own capacitor. The motor won't be connected directly to the switch. See photos attached

Or, is there any way I could raise the load on the controller by adding/replacing any components. I got great soldering skills as I do phone microchip leve repairs.

Thanks for your time
Components in the controller will likely overheat and fail as more current than they are rated for will flow through them.

You need another 1000W fan to keep everything cool............. ?

There is a 1000W fan controller available:

for when the one you're overloading packs up ?

PS in answer to your question "what can go wrong" the answer is (possibly) it may catch fire, depending on what materials the manufacturer used and what, if any, approvals your 400W switch has.

Last edited:
or you could use the controller to energise a contactor/relay .

Thanks a lot guys for clearing my doubts.

Got another question, do you think this thermostat will do the job?
As in description says 5A for the fan and 3A for the valve. Theoretically, it should support 1200W load of the fan.

£32.54 51%OFF | HESSWAY 2P 4pipe cooling heating Switch AC wifi thermostat for smart life 3 speed fan controller

Attachments

• Can I connect a 1000W with a 600w smart fan speed controller? IMG_20210911_015026 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210911_015026.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 2
5A fine, but this seems to be for a fan that has low, medium and high connections from the motor.
I thought you were after proportional control of fan speed, for a motor with a two wire connection?

That's my concern, the wiring. Im fine with 3 static speeds if I cannot find a a proportional one. Can set a range of temperatures for each speed.

Having only two wires, L & N, (+ ground of course), I was thinking, If i split the L (live) in 3 and connect it to the thermostat, will it not act like when I set it on high will medium and low switch off and only high will supply the max voltage?

Or when I set it in medium the H and L from the thermostat to switch off and only the medium to supply the voltage?

As if not, and M L H will be active, there's no point getting it, right?

That's my concern, the wiring. Im fine with 3 static speeds if I cannot find a a proportional one. Can set a range of temperatures for each speed.

Having only two wires, L & N, (+ ground of course), I was thinking, If i split the L (live) in 3 and connect it to the thermostat, will it not act like when I set it on high will medium and low switch off and only high will supply the max voltage?

Or when I set it in medium the H and L from the thermostat to switch off and only the medium to supply the voltage?

As if not, and M L H will be active, there's no point getting it, right?
I thought this controller you are suggesting is designed for fans that have the 3 speeds internally controlled within the fan (eg by different capacitors or different taps on the windings), and three wires coming out from them. The same voltage comes out of this controller, just on a different terminal, so I don't believe your suggestion will work.
Happy to be proved wrong, but that's my opinion on the basis of what I see ?

Reply to Can I connect a 1000W with a 600w smart fan speed controller? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock