Discuss Can i tap in to same wall chase for lighting? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TJKeav

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

in the middle of having my house re-wired

I've chased the walls myself and laid the cable for the new sockets (nothing connected up)

When it comes to the lighting, in some of the rooms a chase runs close to the light switch, can i tap in to that chase and do a horizontal one to the light switch? basically can i run a lighting cable half way down the existing chase then turn off to the light?

or does every light need it's own chase?

Thanks

1631047269857.png

Yes. If you search for “safe zones” you can run vertically and horizontally from any switch or socket.

How is the lighting wired already? There may be a buried conduit that can be utilised there.

are you rewiring the house yourself, or have you got an electrician involved?
Im pretty sure it comes under Part P, but someone from England will confirm.

Seems like there’s only one cable in that chase so far?

Yes. If you search for “safe zones” you can run vertically and horizontally from any switch or socket.

How is the lighting wired already? There may be a buried conduit that can be utilised there.

are you rewiring the house yourself, or have you got an electrician involved?
Im pretty sure it comes under Part P, but someone from England will confirm.

Seems like there’s only one cable in that chase so far?

Thanks for your reply, no conduit, appears the existing lighting has been filled as is. I'm working with the electrician but doing the dirty work myself. Was going to do the horizontal chase where possible ready for his next visit but wanted to seek advise first as he's currently on holiday.
Two cables in the chase you can see :)

I would use a second vertical chase, easier to fit 3 core cable down so you can have smart switching now or later on without having to pull extra cables in.

also, it is a good idea when possible to make the pocket deeper and put deeper back boxes behind the light switches for the same reason. It will also help for dimmers and cable access.

basically, you can do as suggested in post#1, but that leaves little room in the chase for the extra cabe, and although compliant, it's unconventional. more chance of a nail or screw in the cable/s. do another chase. direct to light switch. it's only a 1/2lb of plaster.

As above, I would also use oval tube as well in the chases, just like it that way.
I LIKE THAT OVAL TUBE, using the correct clips, plugged and screwed in. or if you want to me fast and rough, make the chase a bit wavy and wedge the tube in.

If you do run a wire in a legal, but unexpected direction, I always feel happier if it is inside a piece of steel conduit (connected to Earth via the socket back box). Just in case it ever meets a power drill!

(I would also suggest terminating the other (open) end of the tube in a plastic adaptor to avoid any possibility of the cable being damaged by the steel)

Looking at that photo, the 'safe zones' is a bit of a weird one. When all complete and decorated, who's going to think a cable comes to the switch horizontally?
But, them's the regs
................. as they were nearly two years back. :)

Last edited:

Reply to Can i tap in to same wall chase for lighting? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net