Discuss Can Metrel EasiTest carry out Earth Rod resistance test on TT System? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a truck container cafe with a floating generator for power.
I am fitting an earth spike to the generator and also an earth spike to the steel container. I then need to measure the TT system i have created but i only have a Metrel easitest.. Will the tester do the job and if so how do i carry out the test..

Cheers
Tj

There
Why on earth are you setting this up as a TT system?
Normal practice is to use TNS for generators

There is only one source of supply, from this floating earth generator. My idea is to make the earth potential belt and braces by adding earth spikes... Can you explain what you mean by creating a TNS please.

Hi,

I have a truck container cafe with a floating generator for power.
I am fitting an earth spike to the generator and also an earth spike to the steel container. I then need to measure the TT system i have created but i only have a Metrel easitest.. Will the tester do the job and if so how do i carry out the test..

Cheers
Tj
Even if you did this ,you would not have created a TT system. To create a TT system the earth electrode at the generator end would need to be connected to one of the winding ends to be referenced. What you are describing , would still be a form of electrical separation but with 2 x pointless earth electrodes in the ground.

Last edited:
There

There is only one source of supply, from this floating earth generator. My idea is to make the earth potential belt and braces by adding earth spikes... Can you explain what you mean by creating a TNS please.

So you are planning on connecting a floating generators chassis to earth rods? Surely that would increase the chances of serious injury resulting from a second fault?

To have a TT or TNS system you would need the neutral point connected to earth at the generator. To make it TT you would then have no earth conductor from the generator to the load but rely entirely on the return path from one earth rod to the other.
For TNS you connect the neutral point to earth at source and have an earth conductor going to the load.

Reply to Can Metrel EasiTest carry out Earth Rod resistance test on TT System? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net