Discuss Can One Electrical Meter Box Feed a Second Board? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dylanh

DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I hope you are all doing well in these trying times.

I'm planning an extension to my house, and I'm looking to have a second consumer board fitted inside the extension. I'm hoping I can feed this new board from the meter box and not as a sub-board from the original consumer unit in the existing house.

I'm not planning on doing any electrical work myself, but if the above is possible, I want to start digging the trench and put some ducting in place while the weather is still fairly warm and dry.

I've added a picture of my meter if it helps.

Attachments

• MeterBox.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
You need to get a spark in and advise
Looking at the DNO cut out and you going to put a second board to the new extension then you would need a
a new external DNO box next to the one
You already got.

The supply companies don’t normally allow consumers equipment inside their meter box.

What is likely to happen is the supply cables will be split after the red isolator switch in this box, but inside the house.

You need to get a spark in and advise
Looking at the DNO cut out and you going to put a second board to the new extension then you would need a
a new external DNO box next to the one
You already got.
Hi Buzzlightyear,
Thanks for responding, I appreciate your advice.

Sorry in advance that I'm not using the correct terminology!

So if I understand you correctly, your saying that I would need a second box, just like the one with the red switches on it, to connect up the new cable for a second board. Is fitting that box this something an electrician could do, or would I need to get the supplier to come out and fit a new box?

I will indeed get a qualified electrician out when I'm further along with planning.

Thanks again for your advice.
Dylan

The supply companies don’t normally allow consumers equipment inside their meter box.

What is likely to happen is the supply cables will be split after the red isolator switch in this box, but inside the house.
Hi Littlespark,
Thanks for responding.

So an electrician could fit some kind of splitter unit inside the house on the other side of the wall, then feed the new cable back out, either into the meter cupboard and down into my new ducting, or out via a separate hole in the wall and into my ducting?

Thanks
Dylan

The OP has made no mention of fitting the CU in the meter box.
No… what he said was

I'm hoping I can feed this new board from the meter box and not as a sub-board from the original consumer unit in the existing house.

which to me sounds like splitting the supply in the box pictured…. Which would mean a switch fuse or something to protect the cable going out to the extension, where the new CU would be.

I would put the new installation where the house CU is, and simply drill a hole in the wall…. Depending where the CU is in relation to this meter box.
OP, can we get a photo of that area so we can advise re. available space.

No… what he said was

which to me sounds like splitting the supply in the box pictured…. Which would mean a switch fuse or something to protect the cable going out to the extension, where the new CU would be.

I would put the new installation where the house CU is, and simply drill a hole in the wall…. Depending where the CU is in relation to this meter box.
Hi Littlespark,

I've just checked the other side of the wall inside the house, where the external meter is fitted. There is no space for any kind of box there as the kitchen is fitted against that wall. After digging though the cupboards it looks as though the cable feeding my house is going up the wall inside the wall cavity then along above the ceiling space to my consumer unit which is situated in the middle of the house.

Running any new cable to or from this original consumer unit would make an absolute mess and be a lot of work, which is why I want to run a new feed to a second consumer unit in the extension from the meter box if possible. :-(

Thanks again
Dylan

No… what he said was

Yes it would make it easier with dealing only with tails and DP Henley block in meter box, as you mention S/Fuse may be required depending on length of run to new position.

that doesn’t sound right.
the distance between the meter position and the consumer unit is limited unless there’s a switch fuse or other protection.

you will need advise from an electrician on site to advise the best course of action.

that doesn’t sound right.
the distance between the meter position and the consumer unit is limited unless there’s a switch fuse or other protection.

you will need advise from an electrician on site to advise the best course of action.
Hi,
I would estimate that there is just under 6m between the Meter and the CU. Would you class the picture below as a switch fuse?

I will definitely be getting in a qualified electrician to look a this. I was just hoping to dig the trench and fit some ducting while the weather is still dry/warm (saving the electrician a job). I just don't want to waste my time and money if its not possible to run a feed from the meter cupboard, and the feed has to come from the original CU.

I do appreciate the advice that you are all giving me, it is very much appreciated.

Dylan

Attachments

• Pic-1.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 20
So if you were to splice the tails after the red switches (is that surge protection or main RCD?) Do you need to run another earth from the earth bar with them to the new CU?
I have just read this back and answered my own question I think. Can you split tails?

The red switch is simply a service isolator. The 100A printed on it is just how much can pass through it…. It doesn’t trip at 100A

6m is too far without other protection.

As i say, you need someone to be on site to advise better.
Is that the gas meter box to the right of the electric meter?

The red switch is simply a service isolator. The 100A printed on it is just how much can pass through it…. It doesn’t trip at 100A

6m is too far without other protection.

As i say, you need someone to be on site to advise better.
Is that the gas meter box to the right of the electric meter?
Hi Littlespark,
I think I'll get a local electrician to come out and have a look, they are just so hard to get hold of nowadays! Yes that's the gas meter box to the right.

Cheers
Dylan

Reply to Can One Electrical Meter Box Feed a Second Board? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net