Discuss Can you use a light switch to operate a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Will70

DIY
Reaction score
I need advice on a wiring problem. We are in the process of putting in an en-suite and there were a few additional bits to be added. One was some low voltage lights at floor level and a illuminated mirror. Because the walls had already been plastered the electrician suggested coming through the wall from a socket in the adjacent room. He told me to run the cables for him and he would make the final connections. So I ran a cable through and connected it in the socke. I have run it up the wall to a junction box and taken a cable from there and run it to the mirror site that’s ok and works. The low voltage lighting came with a plug attached so I needEd to install a socket, I have selected a non switched fused socket in installed it behind a panel in the wall. Because it’s in a bathroom I wanted to use a non contact light switch to turn the socket on and off. Unfortunately we can’t get hold of him now and his phone is dead and I hoped someone could tell me if it is possible to use a light switch to operate a socket.

Have you connected this direct to a 13A socket without any form of fusing.

Reactions: DPG
Did the electrician not mention an FCU (sometimes referred to as a fused spur)?

Did he tell you to connect the cable from the socket to the mirror?

Let’s hope there’s an RCD somewhere in the mix.

Hi yes the socket I bought it doesn’t have a switch but is fused. Like I said in original post it’s for low voltage led lighting it’s just with it being in a potentialy wet environment I’m using one of those sensor switches so you don’t actually touch it to activate the socket. I’m just not sure how to wire the switch in
[automerge]1586370653[/automerge]
Did the electrician not mention an FCU (sometimes referred to as a fused spur)?

Did he tell you to connect the cable from the socket to the mirror?

You said you wired it through the wall to a socket?

I'm confused. Can you post some photos?

I think this is one of the many side effect dangers of covid19. DIY electrical work.
You really need to wait until you can get an electrician Will. It sounds like these are not the main lights for the bathroom so perhaps you could wait until an electrician is free? Frustrating but sensible.
We wouldn't be able to know if it is OK to do as you say as we would need to physically see and test the electrical system.
The work you are describing may well be in a special location and require notifying to the building authorities along with the appropriate certificate being issued. Amongst other things this would include RCD tests and earthing tests.
I know you just want to hear if it is OK to switch a socket from a light switch but that is a bit like saying is it OK to drive at 100mph, somethimes it is, usually it isn't, there are many factors involved.

Hi Here are the photos as requested the red line is the power in from a socket on the other side of the wall to a junction box. the yellow line is the power from the junction box the the mirror. the green line is the power from the junction box to the light switch and the blue is from the switch to the socket (which i included a photo of its fused but doesnt have a switch) the lights are plug in and will be accessed by a panel. Its the blue and green lines I am not sure how to wire them up. I hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• Wiring layout.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 19
  • touchfree switch.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 19
  • fused socket.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 18
I'll ask once more, is the red line connected direct into a 13A socket with no fuse protection. It may help if your replies were more frequent than once a day.

Last edited:
You said you wired it through the wall to a socket?
H
I'll ask once more, is the red line connected direct into a 13A socket with no fuse protection. It may help if your replies were more frequent than once a day.
Hi sorry I’m working at the moment and it’s a bit difficult to get time to respond. But the answer is yes the socket is on the ground floor socket ring so is protected by the fuse box

So your cable is connected direct to this socket without suitable fusing apart from at the fuse box which is probably 30/32A. Can you show a picture of the socket you have connected to.

Last edited:
So your cable is connected direct to this socket without suitable fusing apart from at the fuse box which is probably 30/32A. Can you show a picture of the socket you have connected to.
Hi this is the one we connected it to, it’s just a standard twin socket. I was told with it being on the main fuse board and the socket I’m using for the lights being fused and everything being low voltage, it would be ok

You appear to have a multiple outlet spur from the socket which isn't permitted unless it has been given circuit protection and your grasp of the correct terminology makes it difficult to decide. I would strongly recommend and although this may be difficult at present you find an electrician.

Reply to Can you use a light switch to operate a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net