Discuss Can't reset the RCD with any MCB's on - Faulty RCD? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We’ve had a few power glitches/cuts recently by our supplier. Each time, on power restoration our RCD has tripped. Irritatingly we were on holiday when it happened last - not good for frozen food!

When we had an extension 3 years ago some changes were made to the consumer unit and a new RCD was fitted into it. This was done by a qualified electrician with all the tests etc carried out. Since then I've never just been able to reset the RCD when tripped - I've always needed to switch all the MCBs off, reset the RCD and then reset the MCBs one by one.
I've now done some investigation trying to reset the RCD with just one of the MCBs in the on position and it appears that almost any individual circuit will prevent the RCD resetting if the MCB is left on.

We don't generally have any problems with other nuisance RCD trips - once it's reset everything is fine.

I haven't been round to remove everything that is plugged in, and some of the circuits that prevent resetting are lighting circuits anyway. I did try one experiment as an example - The oven circuit MCB, if on, prevented the RCD resetting. This circuit only has the oven connected to it. With the oven isolator switched off but the MCB on it allowed the RCD to reset - so clearly not an issue with the circuit itself. Switch the oven isolator on again and the RCD couldn't be reset. It's a fairly new built-in AEG dual oven and am pretty confident it's not faulty.

So the big question is, does this sound like it could be a faulty RCD which doesn't like being reset with any sort of load on it? In the case of the oven it obviously wasn't actually on and heating, just in standby with the electronics active. I'm guessing whatever earth leakage surge there is on power up is triggering the RCD - as it appears is happening in most the other circuits. Interestingly though, using the oven as an example the 'surge' is enough to prevent the RCD being reset, but clearly not enough to trigger it once reset and the MCB is put on.

I don't know how common it is for the RCD to be suspect like this - and if faulty it appears it has been from the start. Worth a swap to see?

Thank for any thoughts....

The cumulative leakage of the circuit may be close to the trip value of the RCD (this will be less than 30mA in practice). May be worth getting a spark to check the leakage with a sensitive clamp meter.

I agree it could be a factor. However, of the 10 circuits on the CU, 8 of the 10 each individually prevent the RCD resetting when only their MCB is on. Surely if it was cumulative thing, if each was leaking enough to trigger it individually then with all switched on there would be no hope of the holding even when reset? Or have I got it wrong?

What kind of neutral issue? A short would tend to cause tripping when load is highest, not when circuits are energised with minimal load on. High resistance would cause malfunction of the loads and/or overheating of faulty terminations etc.

The OP's systematic investigation and findings make suspect the RCD, and it is worth testing with an RCD tester or by substitution, along with the key electrical parameters of the installation. Many people assume their RCD is faulty for all sorts of spurious reasons, for which the cause usually turns out to be one of a number of standard problems such as an N-E short or aggregate leakage near threshold. None of those seem to fit here.

If the RCD is good, the only likely external influence is the presence of devices that create a leakage impulse when first energised. This can occur with suppression capacitors inside appliances etc. but then the behaviour would likely be specific to one or two circuits. One thing I would check first, if it has not already been checked, is the supply polarity. If all the MCBs are switching the neutral, the leakage transients from operation will be abnormal. Obviously this is also a dangerous situation as the MCBs will not offer fault protection to earth and single-pole functional switching will leave points live.

One way or another, electrical test equipment now needs to be brought to bear on the installation and I will be interested to hear the outcome.

Hi - do you know what earthing system you're using at home - do you have a rod in the garden for example?

Hi
Thanks for all your thoughts - really helpful.
For a bit more background the house is a 30s extended semi and I guess was rewired in the 80s. We didn’t have this problem until 3 years ago when the kitchen was extended and some circuits were added/changed. A couple of spare ways in the existing mk sentry CU were used and a new RCD was fitted. The new and altered circuits were tested and I have the test cert from this. The issue of having to switch off the MCBs to reset the rcd was there from this point on. Never been a particular problem until recently as we have had quite a run of power outages and realised the consequences if we are away when it happens. On reflection, some circuits were unaltered by this work, with the old rcd in it used to reset fine with the MCBs on but this is no longer the case. These circuits may have been moved on the cu but nothing more than that. This makes me wonder even more if it is the new rcd which is the culprit.
I’m guessing there is a earth rod in the garden but I’m not entirely sure about that. We have had a new supply cable fitted from road to house within the last year as when they came to fit a smart meter they discovered bitumin leaking from the old cable and replaced it, the meter and head, main fuse. So everything on the supply side of the cu is new. And hasn’t changed anything.
The polarity is correct and the MCBs are indeed switching the live!
I wish there was an isolator so I could try a substitute rcd but there’s not.
I think I’ll need to get someone in but I would hopethey might start with a quick substitution as I’m feeling this could be a quick win..... or maybe not!

Oops... my mention of polarity there was irrelevant as I was thinking about a problem you don't have (trip events when operating the MCBs).

The way forward is definitely electrical testing but I can't resist speculating. There's a scenario where both the RCD and the installation test OK, but a new RCD solves it, e.g a faulty RCD contact that arcs under the stray capacitive load of the wiring as it is being manually reset, but makes adequate contact once fully closed. In that case it would still pass ordinary RCD tests. As the installing electrician should have done these with all loads disconnected, it could have been faulty from new but wouldn't necessarily have misbehaved during commissioning.

Yes, Lucien, I think that perfectly describes my thoughts. Once set, everything works ok. We don’t have any spurious RCD trips under normal operations, but the RCD definitely works (I’ve occasionally N E tripped it when changing light fittings etc).
It’s definitely the actually resetting action that is the problem.
My plan is to see if I can get the spark who did the work for us last time to swap the rcd and see if that does it. If not I’ll ask him to investigate futher.......

Would a N E fault not keep the rcd tripped all the time? Why would it only trip when trying to reset and not once reset and why would switching the MCBs off then allow it to reset?
Not saying it wouldn’t I just need the thoeory explained to me....
Thanks

When you reset the RCD with MCBS on, all the appliances you have plugged in are all trying to come on at the same time.
Have you tried unplugged everything and having the MCB's on when resetting?
Is it an RCD, or an RCBO/RCCB. And what is its current rating? (overload?) (photograph of consumer unit would help)
The combined load of everything starting up may be tripping the breaker side

had this a few times on older installations.1 or 2. 2 MCBs on, RCD would not reset. all MCBs off, reset RCD, turn MCBs on 1 at a time.

When you reset the RCD with MCBS on, all the appliances you have plugged in are all trying to come on at the same time.
Have you tried unplugged everything and having the MCB's on when resetting?
Is it an RCD, or an RCBO/RCCB. And what is its current rating? (overload?) (photograph of consumer unit would help)
The combined load of everything starting up may be tripping the breaker side

Yes but some circuits are lighting circuits with the lights all off, the oven circuit just had an oven on which surely shouldn’t trigger it one it’s own otherwise everyone would have the problem.
It’s an MK rcd 7880s. 80a 30ma.

Can't reset the RCD with any MCB's on - Faulty RCD? 0CEAB032-4181-4AD7-A94D-AA34C95E017A - EletriciansForums.net

I've come across the problem a few times over the years where the RCD (If I recall always a 4293 not a 61008) will only reset with all mcb's off. My recollection is it has invariably been a N-E fault, I cant remember having to change an RCD to rectify the problem. That said it's been a while and my memories not what it was......

No, it used to have an rcd but I think it was changed when the work was done. Could it have had a wider rcd which was changed for a narrower one to open up more ways on the board?
I recall we needed addional ways and I think this is how it might have been achieved without changing the cu. make sense or not?

No, it used to have an rcd but I think it was changed when the work was done. Could it have had a wider rcd which was changed for a narrower one to open up more ways on the board?
I recall we needed addional ways and I think this is how it might have been achieved without changing the cu. make sense or not?

Yes that’s possible with that fuseboard although if your electrician has changed that rcd, it doesn’t comply with regulations.

There are regulations regarding discrimination which your installation falls short of. He/ she should not have issues certs staying that it complies.

However, getting back to the troubles at hand, it may be prudent to unplug everything within the house, leave the mcb’s on and then try and reset the rcd just to see if it’s an appliance or a number of appliances causing the issue. The start up of a lot of things at once may cause an issue.

Just trying to narrow it down!

If you eliminate the impossible, then all that remains, however improbable, must be the truth!

Alas and alack, simply opening a single-pole mcb does not disconnect the neutral wiring. So, with any but only one mcb turned on and then closing the double pole RCD all the final circuits line and neutral circuitry are in play as far as electrons are concerned including current paths to earth and especially transient currents as these circuits are made live but not energised to full mains(240V) potential - apart from the circuit of the closed mcb.

My simple experiment would be to disconnect the L, N and cpc of the induction hob circuit at the CU ; it's my number one suspect for your problem because of its in-line power EMI filters and how they respond to transient voltages between L and N and L and E and N and E. Then, with all mcbs closed try re-energising the board - I suspect the problem will go away. Put the induction hob on its own rcbo. If not I think you will find a number of mcbs can now be closed and then energised. Final circuits which might give you a problem will have white goods, microwaves and some types of computer equipment which use the earth/cpc for EMI filtering purposes.

Herein lies a problem - the sole RCD is also the Main Switch. What needs to be arranged is a Main Switch which supplies the RCBO for IH and the RCD for all the remaining mcbs. I don't think you have room fit an a new Main Switch and an new RCBO unless one combines some final circuits. If it was me I would replace the CU with a Main Switch and dual RCD board plus RCBO for IH or plump for the top end aka Murdoch solution - Main Switch and all RCBOs for final circuits.

(Please take a photo of your cut out, earthing bar and meter arrangements so we can try and discover the earthing system in use.)

Last edited:

Reply to Can't reset the RCD with any MCB's on - Faulty RCD? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock