Discuss Caravan and tncs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ref jimmy, us? What's that all about, is this forum all for you guys that have been on here a while and new people like me are seen as outsiders? I've seen soe of te comments people receive on here and I think it's disgusting. Who do people lie you think you are

My reply may have been blunt..but I stand by it lets reread your OP...

The other day I had to connect a static caravan so the house holders can live in it while their house is being refurbed, the house is tncs What does the caravan section say in the regs ?

no I know your not ment to export the earth and I understand why, so I installed a earth rod, 78 ohms. What has exporting earth got to do with it ? you understand what ?

the main board in the caravan has 30ma rcd, but I could not bring my self not to connect the 3rd core in the swa to bring the earth fom the house also. I know the situation that if the dno's neutral fails this earth could end up running the neutral to the house etc. So you completely ignore the regs, do as you think fit ?

but what's worse? Someone might die ? is that bad enough for you ?This earth, now become neutral burnt in the swa or, some one leaning on the outside of the caravan, which would be at 230v with the dno's neutral fault and stood on the ground, possible wet?
they would then complete the circuit from the bonded caravan through them to ground and back to the supply transformer or dno's next earth spike.

any comments? Yes if your carrying out electrical work only do that scope of work you are compatant to do, clearly in this case you are not, and in answer to your question " Who do you think you are" I am someone who takes great pride in the professional standards that electrical installation work deserves, and don't take too kindly to 'Sparks' that feel they can do as they please just because they 'Can't resist it'

I don't apologise for being blunt electricity kills

J

Nailed it on the head there JB,i try and stay away from domestic work,but do a lot of site work,hooking up site offices ,now generally we are connecting to a Genny,but the odd occasion we do have a permanent supply,the BRB and the BGB both state,not to use DNOs earth,but provide separate earth fault return path.

I must admit, I'm a bit confused.
If the third core was not connected so as to bring the earth out from the house, how then was the earth exported?
Then of course, there's the armour, was that connected anywhere?

reading this thread has just rang alarm bells with me,in a lot of caravan shops they sell adaptors to go from a standard 13A plug top to a BS4343 blue socket in case you need power in your caravan at home.In fact there is a chap near me has a family member living in a van in the garden,connected by the above method,shouldn,t there be a warning about this on the product?

Nailed it on the head there JB,i try and stay away from domestic work,but do a lot of site work,hooking up site offices ,now generally we are connecting to a Genny,but the odd occasion we do have a permanent supply,the BRB and the BGB both state,not to use DNOs earth,but provide separate earth fault return path.
Where does it say that? Which reg are you referring to?

Edit......only got the BRB to hand and check....and it says nothing of the sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have corrected it now, and was just sort of glad that I had worked out why it shouldn't be done, one voice in my head was telling me the lower z readings the better and the other was the regs telling me not to export. I know we should follow the regs and I do take my work very seriously, this is why I posted about it on here, I'm hoping that other people reading this thread can learn a bit from it too. I think it's a bit unfair for other people to be shooting me down in flames, you don't know me or know what my skills are.
shame the regs dont explain a little about why certan regulations are in place.
if this is explained anywhere in there I'm sure I'll hear about it soon

Yaba Yaba, I'm sure you're a nice guy, but it's what's safe for the customer that matters. I don't think it's unfair to "shoot you down in flame" - the Regs are easy enough to read (or crayon-in for the hard of thinking).
I don't know you but have a fair assessment of your skills given your original post :(

I have corrected it now, and was just sort of glad that I had worked out why it shouldn't be done, one voice in my head was telling me the lower z readings the better and the other was the regs telling me not to export. I know we should follow the regs and I do take my work very seriously, this is why I posted about it on here, I'm hoping that other people reading this thread can learn a bit from it too. I think it's a bit unfair for other people to be shooting me down in flames, you don't know me or know what my skills are.
shame the regs dont explain a little about why certan regulations are in place.
if this is explained anywhere in there I'm sure I'll hear about it soon

WTF do you listen to 'Voices in your head' ? and why have A POP at forum members ? you fck up we all do..just move on

Exporting the Earth on aTNCS/PME has been comprehensibly covered on this forum, in fact a PDF is available for this purpose,Will I feel I may be coming across as making a personal attack on you, this is not my intention, but I don't have much patience for people that blatantly disregard the regs and potentially put lives at risk...

J

Reading this Thread it does seem people were getting a bit personal, and thats a shame.
This is such a great forum but when people have to worry about getting bulled by what they post it will weaken the great varitey of posts.
We all screw up and make mistakes, we all sit back and think "wonder why this is done like this" Hence this thread, and learning begins!
But to attack people when they post is a shame, and polite conversation is a much better to learn by.
And how boring would it get if we all knew the answers, no questions, no conversation.. Boring boring boring
"Tin Hat on"

^^^ Fair point but the thread wasn't a 'I wonder why...' It was a 'ignore the Regs, do what I want and then ask questions' thread. To be fair I've seen far worse written on this forum, perhaps some people just need to have a thicker skin?

So pretend the caravan is a garage with a light and a socket in there you all now or have been installing earth rods for this?
except you can extend the equipotential zone out to a garage cant you sedg.....can you extend PME out to a caravan eh?....come on...thats the very thing the O/P has gone and done....and been pistol whipped for it in here....

Do'nt worry about it to much mate , you had the b@@'s to bring your mistake into the open and the same to admit you were wrong . Many would just hide their mistakes and carry on , at least you asked , and thats one way to learn. so the next time you ignore a reg that you know , you know what you are in for lol.

Reply to Caravan and tncs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock