Discuss Caravan and tncs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Okay not in so many words 740.414.4.
We still however,have to provide a Protective conducter,so are we not infact installing a separate Protective conducter.

do you mean for the caravan or the sub to it?...if the caravan then what your looking to acheave is a seperate earth from the house C/U....hence a rod/s....you would earth the armouringgs of the sub at the upstream end only and arrange it as such that it cannot come into contact with exposed and extranious at the downstream end (caravan)....

This is all very interesting ,i love a good debate.
I think regulation 542.1.8 in the BRB,sums this up very well,and would be interested how you guys interpret this Reg.

Sparks 1973 is on the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
you would of course be RCDing the caravan....as the sub will still be a TN...you would not have to RCD it if using armoured......you could of course feed it through a 100mA s type (for discrimination) if you feel so inclined.....

The circuit is now as follows, 4mm, 3 core swa from 32a brwaker off non protected side of house cu, armouring earthed by earth nut in here (3rd core also earthed) cable buried entering underside of caravn to plastic adaptable box, live and neutral connected to original caravans twin and earth which must have ran in where it was previously installed. In adaptable box swa is terminated with gland and nut etc but not connected to anything else, 3rd core marked with green and yells sleeve and terminated into connector block, cpc in twin and earth terminated into another terminal block, sticker in box lid saying "do not connect cpc, tt only" earth rod now connected to caravans met via 16mm earth conductor

Mmmm I think i would have tied the third core to the armoured or not connected it to the supply earth , leaving a potential to connect to pme to anyone in the future who dose'nt know the score is as bad as connecting it yourself. What if your markings fade etc.

That's a good point, the label is on the inside of the adaptable box so should be ok. The caravan is only there while the house is being done up, then the cable may by used to run a few outdoor sockets on a radial.

yep...was thinking that ruston when reading will`s last post....would have been better stabbed into an earth nut in the plastic adaptable box....out of sight ..out of mind n all that lot....

That's a good point, the label is on the inside of the adaptable box so should be ok. The caravan is only there while the house is being done up, then the cable may by used to run a few outdoor sockets on a radial.

Not wanting to dwell on it but temporary installations require the same consideration as .......................

Not wanting to dwell on it but temporary installations require the same consideration as .......................
oh aye....i`v heard that a few times....`oh well its only for a while` n words to that effect.....so with that in mind...another one to bare in mind is a fault will reach full potential on the first quarter cycle.....the point i`m making is it only takes a fraction of a second for a dangerous potential to appear....and if theres no built in fault path for it to take..........it will go for the next fault path that becomes available....in other words straight through you....

Mmmm I think i would have tied the third core to the armoured or not connected it to the supply earth , leaving a potential to connect to pme to anyone in the future who dose'nt know the score is as bad as connecting it yourself. What if your markings fade etc.

I would have done the same.

But certainly not for the same reason, anybody that doesn't know the score is not competent so....... blah blah blah blah blah

I would have done the same.

But certainly not for the same reason, anybody that doesn't know the score is not competent so....... blah blah blah blah blah

Aye but they have a go regardless . All you can do is make yours as safe as you can lol.

I think it's time this thread came to its end, it's the first thread I've posted, I wish to thank the helpful people for their comments, shame about the unhelpful/rude ones but I suppose that's just the way folks are.
cheers people

don,t take on will,! iv,e only been a watcher of this forum for about a year-
ive been a sparky for 44 ****ing years
these, or some, are pompous ****s
they learn ze and zs but cant hit a cows arse with a shovel

A shovel won't fit in my toolbag, Perhaps that is where I am going wrong;)

***Posted in jest as I am not sure how to read post 55 correctly***

:thumbsup

Reply to Caravan and tncs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock