Discuss CAT6 points in house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Looking at putting some CAT6 points around the house for various TVs, Xbox’s, Laptops, all I have at the minute is a Sky Hub (router) what would be best way to do this? Never done Data before am I looking for Patch panels, TP-link?
Just looking for best way thanks

External cat6 up the outside of the house, drill in and surface or flush box in the room. Black external Cat6 is not ugly and darn site easier if decor is good indoors.
You can patch or switch from that point.

External cat6 up the outside of the house, drill in and surface or flush box in the room. Black external Cat6 is not ugly and darn site easier if decor is good indoors.
You can patch or switch from that point.
So from Sky Router from Ethernet point (has 2 Ethernet points) to new Ethernet switch? Then just to each room with CAT6

I’m also looking for some cameras could I take a link from Ethernet switch to DVR then from there to cameras?

spare port of router>patch lead into a network switch (however many points you are planning of have in the points is the number of way network switch you need maybe get a few spare)

then cat6 from network switch to the various points in the house
(either punched into a cat6 outlet plate if chasing into the wall) or terminate the cat6 end off in a rj45 and plug straight into the TV, xbox etc

if your planning on have quite a few points- then having a network work cabinet with a patch panel would be a neater more professional finish

spare port of router>patch lead into a network switch (however many points you are planning of have in the points is the number of way network switch you need maybe get a few spare)

then cat6 from network switch to the various points in the house
(either punched into a cat6 outlet plate if chasing into the wall) or terminate the cat6 end off in a rj45 and plug straight into the TV, xbox etc

if your planning on have quite a few points- then having a network work cabinet with a patch panel would be a neater more professional finish
Thanks for that so much clearer

Cat6 from the network switch to the cctv nvr to put that online

Then cat6 from cameras to nvr if they are poe
Thanks, what about if I had DVR for coax cameras? As may have some RG59 about would that be from network switch to DVR then RG59 to cameras

Sky Router needs to be set to modem mode then a cable from the Sky Box to your switch, I would install a patch panel where all the points are terminated to from the rooms then patch them in to the switch, you can either install a POE switch if you want cameras or a POE NVR to run the cameras.

Sky Router needs to be set to modem mode then a cable from the Sky Box to your switch, I would install a patch panel where all the points are terminated to from the rooms then patch them in to the switch, you can either install a POE switch if you want cameras or a POE NVR to run the cameras.
Thanks I forgot about modem, so what’s the best way to do it as I want points in each room and cameras and the cameras from an NVR? So where would my points in each room go? Would I need a switch for them and then a POE NVR for cameras? So a switch that links to POE NVR?

Depends what make of CCTV you go for, Hikvision sell POE NVR's which I have, I also have a couple of 8 port Ubiquiti Tough Switches which also provide POE, as I am on Virgin I switched it to Modem Mode and then connected a Netgear R6400 to it so that handles the Wireless and DHCP side of things as well as firewalls etc etc and is then connected to the Tough Switches.

Depends what make of CCTV you go for, Hikvision sell POE NVR's which I have, I also have a couple of 8 port Ubiquiti Tough Switches which also provide POE, as I am on Virgin I switched it to Modem Mode and then connected a Netgear R6400 to it so that handles the Wireless and DHCP side of things as well as firewalls etc etc and is then connected to the Tough Switches.
Ok thanks so if I go for some kind of POE NVR for the camera side then just get a normal switch for all the points in the house, unless I go for a POE switch then run everything from there and just link to a NVR which will do cameras?

Yep, but sometimes it's easier just to run the cameras from the NVR, how many cameras do you require and what is your budget?

6-8 cameras and no budget I’ve seen you can get a switch that does non Poe and Poe, just looking for best way to do cameras and data points in house

Reply to CAT6 points in house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock