Discuss Ceiling heating...1970's? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The ones in the estate near me looked a bit like those heat mats used by reptile keepers. There was the plasterboard ceiling,heat mat,polythene vapour barrier over and then a layer of rockwool about smoke paper thickness. On the underside of the ceilings in every room were stickers warning of the dangers of piercing the ceiling!

I remember a relative of mine had it in their place, if you stood on a step ladder the top airspace of the room was lovely and warm i.e 1ft below ceiling height, but the rest of the room was chilly to say the least and it was of a time when fire places were being phased out of new builds, so this was the only heating in the property. Rubbish!!

I can't for the life of me imagine how they could possibly work if they're not radiant. How was the heat supposed to reach the people below? Did they maybe have some kinda forced circulation fan? Sounds like the result you get when you let the marketing department get involved in R&D.[/QUOTE]

Yes,I remember that system, heated elements, each room with own stat, radial circuits 15amp each circuit.

I came across this system on an estate in West London area , The name of the system was called ESWA , basically as you said elements in like a foil with insulation about 5mm thick , a lot of these system have packed up , and expensive to run , as these places are all electric the alternative is storage heating , using the existing off peak supply and install a new consumer unit and new circuits and heaters, ditch the old off peak circuits completely , done quite a few flats in that estate, about 70s /early 80s built..

...as these places are all electric the alternative is storage heating , using the existing off peak supply and install a new consumer unit and new circuits and heaters,

We did exactly the same. We converted a sheltered housing place about 20 years ago that had ceiling heating. We used the existing radial circuits to feed storage heaters from a new off peak board.

We did exactly the same. We converted a sheltered housing place about 20 years ago that had ceiling heating. We used the existing radial circuits to feed storage heaters from a new off peak board.

Thats all you can do really , the flats on the estate I am talking about were very small , so I suppose the old heating system was justified as storage heaters took up valuable wall space , I went round on behalf of the managing agents doing that , another system thats come about that may be of use is the electric boilers using wet system with rads , I have only come across one of these but I don't know what the running costs are ,..

Thats all you can do really , the flats on the estate I am talking about were very small , so I suppose the old heating system was justified as storage heaters took up valuable wall space , I went round on behalf of the managing agents doing that , another system thats come about that may be of use is the electric boilers using wet system with rads , I have only come across one of these but I don't know what the running costs are ,..
I remember having a conversation with a rep about those "electric wet systems" a few years ago,they were also doing a lot of publicity in the likes of PE magazine,the guy was saying they were very economical however I wasn't convinced,by and large anything that involves the words electric and heating in the same sentence is usually costly.

I remember having a conversation with a rep about those "electric wet systems" a few years ago,they were also doing a lot of publicity in the likes of PE magazine,the guy was saying they were very economical however I wasn't convinced,by and large anything that involves the words electric and heating in the same sentence is usually costly.

I would like to know what it does cost to run for myself , I need to replace an oil fired boiler and needs to be relocated as well , and that means moving the oil tank , so an electric boiler would be an idea , but with a 4 bed house I think the running costs would be massive , I have looked up Heatrae Sadia they do one , but running costs I think would be massive , If anyone has any info let me know please,

bet the councillor that decided ( via a brown envelope, nudge , nudge ) to use it got a golden handshake and a huge pension, then went into banking.

Reply to Ceiling heating...1970's? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock