Discuss Certificate of competency in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yep remember the auld alliance between Scotland and France a lot of our laws are the same and we were not daft enough to take on part Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Yep remember the auld alliance between Scotland and France a lot of our laws are the same and we were not daft enough to take on part Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Lol I can remember when last orders was Half nine.

Never mind mate. Come the vote, you can ditch us English and our crazy laws altogether :)

Never mind mate. Come the vote, you can ditch us English and our crazy laws altogether :)

I would have no more time for the Jocks if they decide to depart leaving the Irish and Welsh to moan about the English on their own :19:

Can't there just be a vote to kick England out of the UK instead :clap:

Only joking fellas,I hope this wont stop you from continuing to post us your tax monies :drool5:

Well after 10 years in France you've missed that joyous invention known as part p.
oh dear lol , youre not gonna a like it :)
I'd be straight back to lovely sunny France and their much simpler electricians licencing system.
Yes you are right but new installations and major refurbs need to be signed off before EDF put the electrics on. Also when any and every house that is sold a 'diagnostic' is done the inspector pointing out to the house holder their electrical defiencies. A lot of our work revolved around putting these wrongs to right.
Thanks again for the help and advice.
Just a question afore I go. Why in TWE cable is the earth still a smaller diameter than the current carrying cables and why is it not sheathed? I thought they would have addressed that in their attempts at being finnicky!

France or Scotland ? hmm let me see , 6 month summers , monaco , world class wine £4 a bottle , hot continental totty.
Or Glasgow with rain.
:-D
Ah it does get cold in the winter -16 in the Limousin, Charente, Correze etc. Beers crap. Not every one likes wine and contrary to public believe there are a lot of fat ugly French women!

Just a question afore I go. Why in TWE cable is the earth still a smaller diameter than the current carrying cables and why is it not sheathed? I thought they would have addressed that in their attempts at being finnicky!

The cpc is not insulated, but it is sheathed in T&E. That is considered adequate when part of a cable.
The cpc is allowed to be smaller in fixed installation cables such as T&E because using the adiabatic equation, it is assumed that the duration of the earth fault current is so short that none of the heat energy produced in the protective conductor escapes before the protective device operates. Although not entirely accurate, it is close enough to satisfy BS7671.

Hope that helps :)

The cpc is not insulated, but it is sheathed in T&E. That is considered adequate when part of a cable.
The cpc is allowed to be smaller in fixed installation cables such as T&E because using the adiabatic equation, it is assumed that the duration of the earth fault current is so short that none of the heat energy produced in the protective conductor escapes before the protective device operates. Although not entirely accurate, it is close enough to satisfy BS7671.

Hope that helps :)
Excellent answer and true we hope RCDs will operate at 30 or 40 mA but.....the earth in T&E has always been a smaller dia than the current carrying cables longgggg before RCDs ELCBs were considered a necessity and there is still the question of an un sheathed cale. So what you are saying is if you buy a piece of general purpose three core to wire up a a piece of electrical equipment the earthy core is already sheathed in the outer sheath and there fore a seperate sheath is not necessary. But it is sheathed!:wink_smile:

Surely its not that difficult to put a sheath around it? It would take away the necessity to sheath it at either end when making off. Well as an old stager thats my believe.
Having 'leccy'd' in France a lot of what the French leccy's do is far and away better to the way Brits do it and having a sheathed earth of the same diameter as the current carrying cables is one of 'em.
Sorry being pedantic again I'll get me coat!
Fred

Last edited:
Yer right. The drinking up bell used to sound at 10:00 and continue till 10:30 this was in the early 70s (I used to live in Clydebank!!)
Fred

Aye I'm going back to when I was a bairn in the 50's , not to far away from you as it happens . I was talking about Scotland though Trev, rang the bell at half nine and drink off before twenty to ten. Then they used to go back to me grannies with the "carryoot".

Yer right. The drinking up bell used to sound at 10:00 and continue till 10:30 this was in the early 70s (I used to live in Clydebank!!)
Fred

Yep and if you wanted a drink on a Sunday you had to go to a hotel as all pubs were closed aye those were the days

In Wales,a county could be sunday closed and next door could be open,a pub one side of the river would be 10-30 stop tap,the pub on the other side 11-00

The stampede over the bridge just after 10-30 from the closing pub would have run Bolt a close second

rodgearing;589711 So what you are saying is if you buy a piece of general purpose three core to wire up a a piece of electrical equipment the earthy core is already sheathed in the outer sheath and there fore a seperate sheath is not necessary. But it is sheathed!:wink_smile: Surely its not that difficult to put a sheath around it? It would take away the necessity to sheath it at either end when making off. Well as an old stager thats my believe. Having 'leccy'd' in France a lot of what the French leccy's do is far and away better to the way Brits do it and having a sheathed earth of the same diameter as the current carrying cables is one of 'em. Sorry being pedantic again I'll get me coat! Fred[/QUOTE said:
Using twin and earth, when stripping back you must always sleeve the earth with green/yellow sleeving in the back box (or whatever)!

Reply to Certificate of competency in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock