Discuss Chandelier (which has gone way off topic) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

millenniummel

Hi Guys,

I am a complete newbie to this forum. I am a 23 year old female who was silly enough to buy a chandelier in the sale and now i'm not sure if I am able to attach it...

I have detached the celing rose on the existing light fitting and it looks like so;

Chandelier (which has gone way off topic) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The chandelier fitting looks like this;

The bracket and bits and bobs that came with the chandelier are featured here;

And my pretty chandelier looks like this if you are intrested;

Anyway I consulted a friend of mine who is more knowledgable about DIY than I am and he is concerned because there is no visible earth wire and this is a metal chandelier. My concerns are based around the fact that it looks like I need to drill the bracket into the ceiling and I only possess two cheap woolworths screwdrivers.

Any advice or help greatly appreciated (I live in SW london if anyone wants to come do it for me hee hee).

Thanks

Mel x

Re: Chandelier

Please get an electrician in. That light fitting needs to be earthed in case the chandelier ever gets a fault and the metal becomes live and some one touches it. Please for your own safety. Please let us know how you get on.

As the guys have already said. It may be if you remove the rose that tucked up in the ceiling are the earth's. However, my advice is to get a Spark in and leave it to the pro - won't cost you much but t least it will be SAFE;)

SW London, I'll do it for £60.00 + £300.00 expenses..-;) a bit tooo far fo me..

But seriously, the rose is wired 3-plate, at a guess earth wires will be twisted behind the rose in the ceiling space...but hard to tell, you need to take the rose down to find out...but watch it the three reds in the centre will be live even if the light switch is turned off...pay a spark

Ok guys, I get your point. I haven't done anything very exciting about the whole business of getting this chandelier up so please don't panic. I realised another consideration is that I wouldn't be sure I wasn't attaching the bracket to a part of ceiling with any wires where I can't see them, if you see what I mean.

What do you think the cost of getting an electrician to come and do it for me will be?

I have a feeling it will cost more than the chandelier.

Mel x

PS, the red wires won't be live if I turn off all the electricity in the flat will they?

M x

Last edited by a moderator:

If you turn all the power off via the main switch (usually red) then the circuit will be dead. As for cost, you are probably looking at a spark taking down existing and fitting your Del boy chandelier for about £30 - £40. Hope that helps.

need to test the wires to be sure of that tbh, advice given so far's sound.

is not exactly a big job...do you not know anyone who works as an electrician? ask around at work...family....friends....someone's bound to know an electrician, prob get it done for nowt, well a brew and biccy at the least. :D

I wish I did know an electrician...I am willing to become friends with an electrician...even willing to date an electrician. Alas have not met any in the two years I have been living in London. I am a midwife, so I tend to just meet babies and doctors.

Shame because I have great taste in tea and biscuits and can bake the most fabulous cakes......

M x

Not too far from where I was - Surbiton & Raynes Park. Not down that way for a few weeks:(

I think I will have a look and see if that earth wire is there. If it is I am confident in my abilities to sort it out. If not I am gonna have to hold on for someone who knows what they are doing?

Thanks for all the advice.

Mel x

Okay, okay millenniummel, I feel really bad for you. I'll volunteer my services for free. You just have to do one small thing. Pay for my airfare from Washington, DC. Oh, and pick me up from Heathrow. Maybe take me back to the airport when I'm done. That would be nice. Some tea would be nice too. (you have a ladder I can borrow?)

:D

show a picof yourself and i bet most of the members on here would suddenly be making a trip to london!................just stop in your nearest wholesalers and ask any sparks waiting at counter!

What part of SW London are you in? I will be doing some bits around Fulham and Chelsea tomorrow (Friday 15th) and Saturday. As you had the common sense to ask rather than try yourself, I'll be really gentle with the bill!!

if i was a bit closer i would do it for about £40 but its a bit far for me, hold on in there as someone is bound to be able to do it for you!

a question for the sparks: would you guys use toggles to fit this or get above and put an extra noggin between the joists? looks pretty heavy!

Reply to Chandelier (which has gone way off topic) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock