Discuss Change "Arms Access" banner / tag to "Professional"? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It’s down to whose advice you want to trust, I suppose.
The newly qualified, professional electrician that knows the 18th regs book backwards or the newly retired, been in the job 40 years, but last book was the 17/3rd.
In a forum like this, any suggestion that may not be 100% accurate is discussed afterwards

I’m not saying every retired spark just gives up and doesn’t keep their knowledge up to date. Even borrowing a current book from someone and reading it instead of playing golf 7 days a week.

Never thought of that!

I keep trying provide tiling advice on that forum and having been out of it for over a decade I keep ballsing up people's bathrooms. The members have to quickly correct me.

The adhesive and backerboard choices now are crazy. I can't keep up.
have you thought of re training as a plumber. far less brain work.

It’s down to whose advice you want to trust, I suppose.
The newly qualified, professional electrician that knows the 18th regs book backwards or the newly retired, been in the job 40 years, but last book was the 17/3rd.
In a forum like this, any suggestion that may not be 100% accurate is discussed afterwards

I’m not saying every retired spark just gives up and doesn’t keep their knowledge up to date. Even borrowing a current book from someone and reading it instead of playing golf 7 days a week.
I suppose you also have to balance what you said, with the questions asked, not every question will be Regulation based, will it?
How many times have questions been asked about working practices, etc Health and Safety, a rather emotive statement if I may sat so LS, was bound to invoke a reaction.

same as pete999. us old farts may not be totally up to date with current regs, but it's the same leccy as it was before we were born, with the same dangers. we don't need the nanny IET to add more regs just to stop idiots getting hurt. next edition will probably stipulate all domestic electrics are <50V, dry lining boxes must be steel, and all flooring will be rubber mats.

Start a conversation with me and send me your company details etc
[/QUOTE]
Why did i bother asking?
Dan told you what to do earlier pal.

Inbox me.

I thought I replied to you but I can't find it maybe I didn't click reply.

You have 450 posts. You have a notice that pops up after 50 and doesn't go until you have 300.

So where have you been looking all this time. Didn't you wonder why everybody's username was a different colour? Lol

(I'm messing - inbox me I'll sort you out)
[automerge]1567098959[/automerge]
Dan told you what to do earlier pal.
I thought I did!!!

Nice quoting work matey.

Inbox me.

I thought I replied to you but I can't find it maybe I didn't click reply.

You have 450 posts. You have a notice that pops up after 50 and doesn't go until you have 300.

So where have you been looking all this time. Didn't you wonder why everybody's username was a different colour? Lol

(I'm messing - inbox me I'll sort you out)
[automerge]1567098959[/automerge]

I thought I did!!!

Nice quoting work matey.

To be honest i didn't see his reply even though i read all replies (thought i did)

I've been looking at the replies from people haha. I was hoping you would change the colour without me asking .

Thanks

Blimey.
All I said was retired sparks MAY be out of date with regs. And answers to questions are discussed, so any issues with current regs are going to be corrected.
I didn’t say retired sparks shouldn’t be in the arms either, before someone throws that at me.
Calm down, calm down... to coin a phrase

That’s why I voted to keep the name as “the arms” and not change to “professional” as someone mentioned before me, retired guys are no longer in the profession.

The Arms is like a pub. Somewhere we go to discuss things out with the public part of the forums. To voice any frustrations over other posts and ask where the hell so-and-so is?

Blimey.
All I said was retired sparks MAY be out of date with regs. And answers to questions are discussed, so any issues with current regs are going to be corrected.
I didn’t say retired sparks shouldn’t be in the arms either, before someone throws that at me.
Calm down, calm down... to coin a phrase

That’s why I voted to keep the name as “the arms” and not change to “professional” as someone mentioned before me, retired guys are no longer in the profession.

The Arms is like a pub. Somewhere we go to discuss things out with the public part of the forums. To voice any frustrations over other posts and ask where the hell so-and-so is?
I think LS it was more what was insinuated, not exactly what you said, anyway said my piece,

'Professional' is, unfortunately, rather an ambiguous term that has different meanings in different places, and is much abused, so I would avoid it using it as a tag.

It can mean:
* someone who does something for a living
* someone who does something that needs special skills and knowledge
* someone who is registered with a licenced body or institution, such as a chartered engineer or solicitor
etc.

So, by one definition, an electrician cannot be a professional unless in addition to any C&G quals etc. they are also have a degree, or are an IEng or CEng, or whatever. And by another they cannot be a professional unless they undertake electrical jobs on behalf of paying customers. It's a bit like 'engineer', which in some countries means someone who works on machinery or drives trains, and in others means someone with a professional qualification at degree level (and you are not allowed to call yourself an engineer if you don't have the correct quals.)

Hey @Dan thanks ever so much for your hard work and dedication that goes into keeping this site in order, and to all the mod's keeping us rabble in order!
oh and also for sorting out arms access for me!!
Kindest thanks
Sparkysy
Awww bless you thanks matey.

I just kinda come storming in and screw things up for a couple of weeks then storm off again.

It's the other staff that really sort the place out :)

And of course no forum would be anything but a boring blog without action from the members. So they need have the nod given too.

Thanks for your kind words though matey.

Yeah its closed now pal.

Reply to Change "Arms Access" banner / tag to "Professional"? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock