Discuss Changing a light pendant (with 4 wires) to light fitting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently bought four light fittings (to replace the existing simple ceiling light pendants) that look like the following to wire up:

Changing a light pendant (with 4 wires) to light fitting {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I've already changed two of the four pendants since they are just a single wire coming in (from the other hallway/landing light) so they were simple.

But my other hallway light looks like:

Changing a light pendant (with 4 wires) to light fitting {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

And my other landing light looks like:

So I was wondering how these should be wired up for the new lights? I understand that the 4 wires are: supply for light, supply for next light in circuit, switch line and loop to other light, but I'm a bit confused where the live and neutral cables should go because currently they go into 3 terminal blocks (line, loop, neutral) but the new light will only have 2 terminal blocks (live, neutral) for these?

From what I've read, all neutrals will still go to neutral, and the two line cables are switched live so should go to live, but what about the three loop cables? Do these also go into live, or do I put them in a separate terminal block?

I'm happy to hire an electrician if needed, but I also want to learn more so any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

L&N IN &OUT, S/L&L, SL &N to next light Maybe does the switch controlling this fitting control another light?

Yes that's correct, both the hallway and landing lights provide power to another light in the hallway/landing (ones with just 1 cable coming into them, and I've already changed these).

The three browns in the middle need connecting together but not connecting to the new light, keep them separate. The three blues and the grey go to N of the new fitting, the brown and black go to L of the new fitting and the sleeved green/yellows to earth (The middle terminal). I would recommend getting some Wago connectors as getting all those wires to the new fitting will be very difficult even for an electrician.

As above , in a perfect world all those cables want terminating into wagos and just a single cable to the light connector block....
the good Thing is the new light has a big base so you can hide all the cables neatly inside the base.

Thanks all, that's helpful and understandable :) I guess it was mainly the three middle browns that were confusing me, but it makes sense to terminate them separately.

I wasn't looking forward to trying to get all cables into the new fitting, so I'll definitely check out wago connectors.

Just remember as you disconnect each cable keep them as they are , i use a small cable tie or some tape to keep the relevant cores together... You don’t want to loose the switch wire with the other browns

Just remember as you disconnect each cable keep them as they are , i use a small cable tie or some tape to keep the relevant cores together... You don’t want to loose the switch wire with the other browns
i usually mark mine wirh a sharpie. 1 line fir pems. 2 lines for switched. or i cut the xposed copper off the switched L's.

Reply to Changing a light pendant (with 4 wires) to light fitting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock