Discuss Chasing sockets brick blown in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve chased out a hole for double socket and noticed that some of the brick is about to crumble out. Only chasing for 25mm back box. Directly on the opposite side of the wall is a single socket which I intend to change to a double. (Single has 35mm back box) therefore the two sockets are back to back. My concern now is that the crumbling brick from new chase is from the single socket opposite and when I come to chasing out the single to a double I will blow the brick right through and basically have a hole in the wall. If this happens what should I do? Have I completely cocked it up or if anyone has any ideas it’s much appreciated. Also will this be a structural issue?

Thanks

Either completely fill up the hole you have made and move the new socket slightly to the left or right... at least 20cm.
Or, put cement in the new hole to hold socket in place, not ideal as it will make a right mess should it ever need to be taken out but it gets you out of a pickle.

I use bonding plaster,completely fill the hole with soft plaster and tap the boxes back into it making sure they are properly aligned, trowel off the surplus without disturbing the boxes and leave until almost hard before cleaning up. Float over with finish if necessary once the bondings fully set.
pi$$ in the mix first. it will set within 1 hour.

Guys thank you all for your advice and wise words. Thankfully the plaster around the single socket was 25mm deep so not much damage caused as I used 25mm back box. As for the hole I chased for my double box opposite I think I’ve got some bonding plaster so will lash a load of that in. Thanks again guys always appreciate your help

Having two back boxes,opposing each other through a single brick wall,is not a problem,and can make sense in a few ways.
You should be able to get two 35mm boxes in,even across a brick-on-edge,30's property. Two separate holes,without a brick length between,could risk compromising the courses above,so one hole keeps the wall firmer. It is not hard to fabricate a web between,which the two boxes can be spaced off and fixed to,you can even make such a bracket using some spare boxes and a slitting disc.

Everyone has their favourite "mix",with speeding-up methods ranging from hot air guns,to Tels "dirty-water" (it works).

As ever,these practises always gain better results,when thought is given to what may be required,before the rota-stop gets selected;)

Reply to Chasing sockets brick blown in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net