Discuss Class 2 double insulated Outdoor lantern in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gerry9870

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

Could someone advise.

I was thinking about installing a plastic tall lamp post in my garden. Its double insulated, ran through a channel in the ground to an external wall RCD.

I was thinking armoured cable to run, channel would be approx 13 feet.

Could the cable be wired to a junction box then fed in to a plug then in to the RCD?

Or would gland be better?

Thanks

Gerry

if you are plugging it in to a socket, use some 0.75mm or 1.0mm pond flex in 20mm flexible conduit. connect cpc in plug but justterminate in a connector at the lamp.

Hi

Could someone advise.

I was thinking about installing a plastic tall lamp post in my garden. Its double insulated, ran through a channel in the ground to an external wall RCD.

I was thinking armoured cable to run, channel would be approx 13 feet.

Could the cable be wired to a junction box then fed in to a plug then in to the RCD?

Or would gland be better?

Thanks

Gerry
If your using armoured cable, you need to have a proper CW Gland both ends, also make sure to earth the Banjos. I would run the armored in a plastic conduit, 25mm would do the ticket, this will protect it. Take the armoured inside your property at a suitable place, install a metal RCD Enclosure alongside an existing socket, I would personally put a 6A MCB alongside the Double Pole RCD to achieve some discrimination as its only a light.

If your using armoured cable, you need to have a proper CW Gland both ends, also make sure to earth the Banjos. I would run the armored in a plastic conduit, 25mm would do the ticket, this will protect it. Take the armoured inside your property at a suitable place, install a metal RCD Enclosure alongside an existing socket, I would personally put a 6A MCB alongside the Double Pole RCD to achieve some discrimination as its only a light.
Why?

The armour of the cable is more mechanical protection than a bit of plastic pipe will offer.

Agree with the CW gland, extra seal that a BW doesnt have.

Why would you run the armoured cable in plastic conduit?

Why would you run the armoured cable in plastic conduit?
The Reason being, additional protection from pressure related puncture damage to the Armoured Cable, Very Few People actually go to the trouble of laying an armoured cable underground in the correct manner, therefore with time pressure can push small sharp stones into the armoured, then the cable gos bad and your stuffed! If you lay the armoured in say a 25mm Pipe with a gentle bend each end, not only does the cable have additional protection, but you have future proofed it by enabling the cable to be drawn out and replaced. It doesnt have to be Conduit, its just a cheap way of achieving a workable duct & protection. If you want the bees knees then go with a larger diameter drainage pipe. Going back a few years I spent three years just full time testing-Ive seen lots & lots of armoured's gone bad

Why?

The armour of the cable is more mechanical protection than a bit of plastic pipe will offer.

Agree with the CW gland, extra seal that a BW doesnt have.
The Reason being, additional protection from pressure related puncture damage to the Armoured Cable, Very Few People actually go to the trouble of laying an armoured cable underground in the correct manner, therefore with time pressure can push small sharp stones into the armoured, then the cable gos bad and your stuffed! If you lay the armoured in say a 25mm Pipe with a gentle bend each end, not only does the cable have additional protection, but you have future proofed it by enabling the cable to be drawn out and replaced. It doesnt have to be Conduit, its just a cheap way of achieving a workable duct & protection. If you want the bees knees then go with a larger diameter drainage pipe. Going back a few years I spent three years just full time testing-Ive seen lots & lots of armoured's gone bad

I like it ?

Twin wall duct is of stronger construction than normal PVC flexible conduit, and is made for this very purpose. I agree that it's always a good idea to install buried cables inside a duct for the purpose of future access in case the cable ever needs to be replaced.
Oh Yeah, I agree 100 percent Duct is stronger, I just used the conduit as a cheaper effective way of doing it. Double wall duct is excellent.

If you are using armoured wire then the armour must be earthed!

If you plan on feeding it from a 13A socket somewhere then that supply end of the cable should be glanded to a suitable box, ideally using CW style gland or better still these:

Then some 3 core flex using one of the plastic IP68 style glands to the box and wired up so the armour is connected to the CPC (earth wire) to a 13A plug. For something like this you only need 2 core SWA as the armour can be used as CPC if needed, but as it is double insulated load it is not.

But, as already said, if buried in proper electrical duct and RCD protected then using some 3-core flex in a run of this might be cheaper and a lot easier all round:

For any outdoor exposed cable it should be UV resistant, and this is a good choice for many flexible cases:
Or possibly easier to get (but best use a 3A or 5A fuse):

Last edited:

Reply to Class 2 double insulated Outdoor lantern in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net