Discuss Code for a socket next to a salon style sink with moveable shower hose in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening

I am wondering what people would code for a socket within a meter of a sink basin that has a salon style moveable hose attached. There's an obvious risk there but I suppose it is classified as a location containing a bath and or shower etc. The circuit is RCD protected

Cheers for any responses

I would not consider it a shower. It is a basin.
is there any evidence of water ingress or damage?

it may not need any a code at all.

You get kitchen taps the same with a pull out hose, but not classed as a special location.

You could C3 it, and recommend either change to splashproof fittings, or install a barrier between water area and sockets

Op says socket is within a meter of the basin but only being on site can you establish what the risk is, if the socket is behind where you stand to use the sink, the risk is close to zero, if it is sitting above the sink it is much higher!!

Very dependent upon the actual circumstances, being a location containing a bath or shower isn't about there being a cubicle, but about there being a shower head (for the shower aspect), and this being usable as a shower.

For example, a bit of a short hose on the tap, or similar (even with a shower head) I would generally consider a C3. (I would definitely be mentioning it.)

However if it looks like it is both capable and is being used as a shower, for example to wash hair, and basically soak someone (rather than washing hands after the toilet sort of thing); then it is most likely that it being used to wash hair and then blow dry using this socket outlet (by the same person - so very wet and risky).

Irrespective of the exact wording of the regs, this could be very dangerous, thoroughly soaked people using a hairdryer in a damp environment...

That I would state as C2 and explain clearly why I applied that code.

Last edited:
No code at all.
There's a whole row of basins like this in my local hairdresser's. Pull out hose with shower head on the end, and a socket where a hair drier is plugged in next to each.

In most hairdressers the wash location is away from the blow dry area, and managed by "trained staff" in any case.

May be somewhat different from a home for example where some teenager doesn't realise the risk.

But very much depends on circumstances , I would actually mention it even in a professional hairdressers - although I probably wouldn't apply any code where there were trained professionals using it.

@Julie - Gents hairdressers normally have the basins in front of the chairs, several sockets for blowers, clippers, chargers, etc.

In most hairdressers the wash location is away from the blow dry area, and managed by "trained staff" in any case.
The hairdresser's where my wife has her hair cut and they search for mine is located in what is little more than a short wide corridor.
Row of basins and sockets on one side, and seats for waiting on the other, where you have to tuck your feet under your chair to avoid them getting stepped on by the staff. There's even a chair missing, as a 'passing place'/

@Julie - Gents hairdressers normally have the basins in front of the chairs, several sockets for blowers, clippers, chargers, etc.
The hairdresser's where my wife has her hair cut and they search for mine is located in what is little more than a short wide corridor.
Row of basins and sockets on one side, and seats for waiting on the other, where you have to tuck your feet under your chair to avoid them getting stepped on by the staff. There's even a chair missing, as a 'passing place'/

Yes, I did point out most hairdressers, not all, and again these locations are used by trained professionals, who through their training are aware of basic safety.

The point I was trying to make (unsuccessful it appears), is that within homes, or other places where untrained people are obviously using electrical products in the immediate vicinity of loads of water whilst themselves are often soaking wet, represents a danger of electric shock.

I find this rather obvious, however I am an electrical engineer. Furthermore, I would clearly be negligent if I didn't point this out to people who clearly didn't know or realise this.

Without picking on any gender or age specifically, anyone who has visited a bathroom or similar after a younger teenager has washed/dyed their long hair, will likely think there has been a water tank explosion. There is just not the same level of control of water and separation from electrical equipment one would find in a professional hairdressers.

That I would state as C2 and explain clearly why I applied that code.
My immediate is C3 from the engineering standpoint but I can see reasoning behind a C2 however, looking at utilisation (ordinary persons (operators/apprentices) and the whole range for thr customer base (BA off the top of my head)) and the high probability of indirect splashing from the shower/basin I would recommend IP sockets or moving them to a higher level or just having no sockets in yht immediate area (cordless clippers exist and I'm sure cordless hairdryers/straighteners aren't far off)

Reply to Code for a socket next to a salon style sink with moveable shower hose in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net