Discuss Code for gas too close to CU in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oli

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
About to start an EICR on a property but I already know the CU is about 50mm away from the gas meter, massive garage wall and they put them that close!!
I know part-p talks about them needing to be 150mm away but can't find mention of it in the regs. No mention of this in code breakers.
Cheers guys
Oli

Just found a section in the back of code breakers talking about this, saying it's really a gas regs issue, and that 7671 reg 528.3 covers it a bit but makes no mention of exact distances, and then offers no help on coding, so my only conclusion is it's not a code, but I'm probably going to mention it anyway as a note.

BS6891 I think re 150mm. Is it PVC wrapped? Can a piece of non combustable material be put between the two?
You should say something in the report if only to show that you have considered it?

Not PVC wrapped as it's the gas meter and the plastic CU.
Not sure what material would be useful to use a barrier and how to mount it?

I had the same issue arise during an EICR that I did 18 months ago.

https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/thank-you-mr-wetpants-you-inconsiderate-imbecile.136249

The gas engineer who carried-out the gas inspection on this job wouldn't pass the installation. He agreed with me that the consumer unit was positioned dangerously close to the boiler and would need to be relocated.

I felt at the time that there was sufficient cause for a C2 code to be given and if I were standing in your shoes, I would have no hesitation in marking a C2 code under item 5.16 of the report. I would think that regulations 528.3.1 through to 528.3.4 would justify a C2.

Reply to Code for gas too close to CU in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock