Discuss Comments on this DIY job please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening..

I am working on a large property at the moment putting in a new bathroom, kitchen etc. The owner has done a fair bit of DIY. One such job entails using a bit of 2 core flex (0.75mm) from a JB under the floorboards, then up the wall in trunking and across the loft where it reaches its position and drops through the ceiling into a pendant.

I have changed the JB to MF and will put a proper ceiling rose on the ceiling, however I can't quite figure out if there is anything wrong with the 2 core flex going up the wall. Basically it's not earthed, his argument is that it is normal for the cable coming from a ceiling rose to be 2 core, and he's right... this is just a very, very long ceiling pendant! ?? PS.. it's a plastic pendant. Plus many older properties don't have earthing to lights. I want to change it for twin and earth but I can't think of any reg that says this has to be done?

Cheers.

Evening..

I am working on a large property at the moment putting in a new bathroom, kitchen etc. The owner has done a fair bit of DIY. One such job entails using a bit of 2 core flex (0.75mm) from a JB under the floorboards, then up the wall in trunking and across the loft where it reaches its position and drops through the ceiling into a pendant.

I have changed the JB to MF and will put a proper ceiling rose on the ceiling, however I can't quite figure out if there is anything wrong with the 2 core flex going up the wall. Basically it's not earthed, his argument is that it is normal for the cable coming from a ceiling rose to be 2 core, and he's right... this is just a very, very long ceiling pendant! ?? PS.. it's a plastic pendant. Plus many older properties don't have earthing to lights. I want to change it for twin and earth but I can't think of any reg that says this has to be done?

Cheers.
All circuits need to employ a cpc whether use or not, some will more than likely disagree but I would never use flex as fixed wiring. Plus how would you test R1+R2 without a cpc?

Last edited:
So he is spending a sh!te load of money on a kitchen and a bathroom but arguing about the cable to the light, as mentioned above the cable should have a CPC as the chance of someone hammering a nail in to 9" of pendant cable is slim but the chances of it getting damaged in the run are a lot higher.

Just tell him you know better.

Tis in the regs somewhere, sure someone will come up with the reg no', I'm orrrfff to cook me beef rendang
SWD will know, although he wont tell you. he will make you wait until?

Last edited:
Evening..

... a bit of 2 core flex (0.75mm) from a JB under the floorboards, then up the wall in trunking and across the loft where it reaches its position and drops ... if there is anything wrong with the 2 core flex going up the wall. Basically it's not earthed, his argument is that it is normal for the cable coming from a ceiling rose ...
Hi HHD - Check out Reg 411.3.1.1 (last para)an exception is made for the pendant cable not needing a cpc. It's specifically for joining a lamp to a lighting point above it. Your case doesn't fit, in my humble opinion.

So he is spending a sh!te load of money on a kitchen and a bathroom but arguing about the cable to the light, as mentioned above the cable should have a CPC as the chance of someone hammering a nail in to 9" of pendant cable is slim but the chances of it getting damaged in the run are a lot higher.

Just tell him you know better.
not very likely someone will nail cable in trunking.

Reply to Comments on this DIY job please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock