Discuss Company kit and tools stolen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

John Matrix

Hi lads just looking for advice when it comes to Company kit. Things like test kits etc. If they are left in the van and they get stollen is it the electricians responsibility to foot the bill? We are being told to take them in the house. To me this doesn’t seem unreasonable because I have the room in my garage. My tools also get emptied off the van every night and stored away. We have also been told that if we leave our tools in the van and they go missing, they will not be replaced. It’s a hard one because one could argue that our tools are our responsibility. But some lads live in flats etc and have no room for a van full of tools in the house. Should the tools be covered if they get stolen? Are they covered if left on site in a site safe. Any input would be great

thanks in advance

Company issued tools and equipment are the companies responsibility if they cannot secure the van properly ie locks, alarm and van vault that is not your problem, this goes for all hours of the day.

For your own tools and gear during the day I would like to think you are covered but on the night I will say it time and time again!

Whittle your tools down into something that can be rolled in and out your house/flat. A pain in the arse at first but all becomes worth it when you wake up one morning to find your van opened but you've still got your own tools.

Hi lads just looking for advice when it comes to Company kit. Things like test kits etc. If they are left in the van and they get stollen is it the electricians responsibility to foot the bill? We are being told to take them in the house. To me this doesn’t seem unreasonable because I have the room in my garage. My tools also get emptied off the van every night and stored away. We have also been told that if we leave our tools in the van and they go missing, they will not be replaced. It’s a hard one because one could argue that our tools are our responsibility. But some lads live in flats etc and have no room for a van full of tools in the house. Should the tools be covered if they get stolen? Are they covered if left on site in a site safe. Any input would be great

thanks in advance
Doesn't the company in question have all this kit insured? or is it as difficult as the sole trader to insure tools of the trade?

Company vans should have van insurance to cover all the kit inside.
I think mine as self employed is covered for a couple grand for tools and materials.
Which doesn’t quite cover everything if I had to replace with new.
Any insurance company will pay out if all reasonable steps were taken. Ie, don’t leave the van unlocked.

They are saying that the vans are insured if they are at the office. But not outside our houses. I take a van home.
What about when you are travelling between jobs? or parked on site? sounds like BS to me

Company issued tools and equipment are the companies responsibility if they cannot secure the van properly ie locks, alarm and van vault that is not your problem, this goes for all hours of the day.

For your own tools and gear during the day I would like to think you are covered but on the night I will say it time and time again!

Whittle your tools down into something that can be rolled in and out your house/flat. A pain in the arse at first but all becomes worth it when you wake up one morning to find your van opened but you've still got your own tools.
They are saying we need to empty all company kit too because they will charge us if it goes missing
[automerge]1573027798[/automerge]
What about when you are travelling between jobs? or parked on site? sounds like BS to me
I think it just applies to when the van is outside your house

problem is with a lot of insurance companies doing tools/equipment on vans cover, the small print says "not covered if left unattended 9pm - 6am." I'm self=employed and all tools come off at night, even though they are covered. It's not just the cost of the nicked stuff that matters, it's being unable to work while the insurers process the claim, and even then they write down the values, so if you have a £400 drill that's 5 years old, they value it at maybe£100 rather than replacement cost. beggars the question---- who's the bigger thief, the scroat that breaks into your van or your insurance company. i put it at 50/50.

If they can’t insure the kit whilst the van is parked outside your house, how about offloading all the kit at the office at the end of the working day?

Taking company vehicle home is a tax incentive as an employee, unless you can show you are on call etc. So be careful there.

Ive read some companies approve taking company vehicles home at night, but should not be driven for personal use between certain hours; therefore no consent, and no insurance if the cops catch you.

If they can’t insure the kit whilst the van is parked outside your house, how about offloading all the kit at the office at the end of the working day?
I live 45 minutes from the yard so that isn’t an option. Plus like I say i don’t mind unloading every night. It’s more to get opinions for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your gear is your responsibility and their gear is their responsibility.
If they want their gear insured in their van overnight they should alter their insurance appropriately.
I would NOT be moving it into my garage overnight as the blame would definitely fall on you if your garage got done over. Does your house insurance cover you for their gear in your garage ? Will your firm be paying a portion of your home insurance ?

Would the company pay you out if your tools got taken from the van ? If not then why should you pay if their tools got stolen ?

Is it written into your contract that are liable for work's gear out of work hours ?

I think it all depends on the employment contract. My job comes with a personal company vehicle and we're told not to remove their equipment unless it's being used at the time.

If they want their gear insured in their van overnight they should alter their insurance appropriately.
I would NOT be moving it into my garage overnight as the blame would definitely fall on you if your garage got done over. Does your house insurance cover you for their gear in your garage ? Will your firm be paying a portion of your home insurance ?

Would the company pay you out if your tools got taken from the van ? If not then why should you pay if their tools got stolen ?

Is it written into your contract that are liable for work's gear out of work hours ?
I will be taking all kit into the house including the test kit because I don’t see that as unreasonable. If the house got burgled he isn’t going to charge you for the kit getting stolen. If it’s in the house then you have physically done as much as possible to secure it. They ain’t unreasonable by any means but there has to be a bit of give. Like I said it’s more other people with the issue. I don’t mind emptying the van.

Guess the employer might say, that’s okay then, don’t take our van home with you.

I will be taking all kit into the house including the test kit because I don’t see that as unreasonable. If the house got burgled he isn’t going to charge you for the kit getting stolen. If it’s in the house then you have physically done as much as possible to secure it. They ain’t unreasonable by any means but there has to be a bit of give. Like I said it’s more other people with the issue. I don’t mind emptying the van.

If your home insurance refused to pay out for items taken from the garage are you sure they wouldn't charge you ?
So they would be happy to foot the bill for new gear if it got taken from your garage but not if it got taken from their van ? Makes no sense.

Sorry but if they include a van as part of your contract that can be taken home and kept outside your house then they don't have the correct insurance for this arrangement if they are saying it is not insured out of work hours. If it is insured out of work hours then you don't have to take their gear in.

Like you say, this is easy for you but an unreasonable request for those who may not have the storage for the work's gear.

Reply to Company kit and tools stolen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock