Discuss Compex Units 01-04 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi I have the course booked for the end of January so if anyone has a copy of the PDF for the course notes and could forward it to me it would be appreciated. My email is **email address removed please use the forum PM system**

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Phouston, I've removed your email address to prevent it getting harvested by spammers. You can just use the forum PM system to send and receive messages.

Hi stumbled across this compEx post and was wondering if anyone still had some course notes. I am very interested in booking this course in the next few weeks and was looking for as much info as possible on the course. And a wondering if anyone has been on the course at grangemouth? Thanks.

Hi stumbled across this compEx post and was wondering if anyone still had some course notes. I am very interested in booking this course in the next few weeks and was looking for as much info as possible on the course. And a wondering if anyone has been on the course at grangemouth? Thanks.

Compex accreditation is always a good qualification to have under your belt and can open doors and opportunities that are closed shut to most journeyman electricians. Good luck to you....

i did the course in hull at HOTA, its not difficult if you work in this area. just make sure you know what the ATEX codes EXd,p,q,n,o,m mean.

I have held CompEX since 1994.

I went to Roxby in Stallingthorpe, Immingham, last week and the Refresher course is 'murder'. It never used to be like this and have always paassed comfortably. But they have introduced this 'generating work order' to do repairs to faults and the whole strucure of the format is horrendous. Not least the time allotted to do it. I know I have failed this part of the course. What annoys me is that we got no course notes except for the usual Toolbox Guide. What I could have done with is the slides that were on the overhead projector. If anyone has these I would be grateful. And if that wasn't bad enough, the whole CompEX refresher was based on photographs and NOT real hazardous area equipment in booths/bays etc. like I always knew.
I have always gone to HOTA in Hull to do the course refresher, but now, they do NOT offer the refresher course, only the full 5-day course.
I have 24 years working offshore and in the harzardous area industry. This could spell the end for me.
Again, if anyone has any course notes and examples on how to make out work orders for carry out repairs of particular faults, I would be extremely grateful. Of course I know how to do this, but its WHAT to put WHERE in the boxes in the fields as below.
The format of the repair list had the following:
Problem: (the report from a visual, close or detailed inspection)
Requirment:
Issues to Consider:
Preperation:
Proposed Repair:
Completion:

I have held CompEX since 1994.

I went to Roxby in Stallingthorpe, Immingham, last week and the Refresher course is 'murder'. It never used to be like this and have always paassed comfortably. But they have introduced this 'generating work order' to do repairs to faults and the whole strucure of the format is horrendous. Not least the time allotted to do it. I know I have failed this part of the course. What annoys me is that we got no course notes except for the usual Toolbox Guide. What I could have done with is the slides that were on the overhead projector. If anyone has these I would be grateful. And if that wasn't bad enough, the whole CompEX refresher was based on photographs and NOT real hazardous area equipment in booths/bays etc. like I always knew.
I have always gone to HOTA in Hull to do the course refresher, but now, they do NOT offer the refresher course, only the full 5-day course.
I have 24 years working offshore and in the harzardous area industry. This could spell the end for me.
Again, if anyone has any course notes and examples on how to make out work orders for carry out repairs of particular faults, I would be extremely grateful. Of course I know how to do this, but its WHAT to put WHERE in the boxes in the fields as below.
The format of the repair list had the following:
Problem: (the report from a visual, close or detailed inspection)
Requirment:
Issues to Consider:
Preperation:
Proposed Repair:
Completion:

I have heard that the refresher is murder.

When mine is up for renewal I will be doing the full 5 days again lol

Won't be me paying for it anyway.

I have heard that the refresher is murder.

When mine is up for renewal I will be doing the full 5 days again lol

Won't be me paying for it anyway.

I was advised to do the full 5 again too. As the refresher was harder due to the fact that you are expected to have worked in the COMPEX sector full time since the course. And are expected to still be fluent in it.

sounds like a badly run refresher course, if you need this for your job then id go to hota at hull and do the full 5 day one. dont expect to see carl the lecturer though think hes been sacked.

I was advised to do the full 5 again too. As the refresher was harder due to the fact that you are expected to have worked in the COMPEX sector full time since the course. And are expected to still be fluent in it.

I don't think it was that hard. The problem lies that they have introduced these 'Work Orders' into the course approx. 2-3 months ago.

Everything else I was comfortable with and would have passed. But these work orders - 3 x 6 maintenance work orders to and, just 30 minutes to complete one block of six. Its absolute criminal. Its like trying to rush a permit through in just FIVE MINUTES and think of all the hazards and method in that time too.

JTL need to have good look at themselves here. As I said above, I have held CompEX until mid-Ninety's and work regularly offshore. So if I am struggling, God help those trying to venture into this field.

HI all this is my posting

I have got my Compex Course booked for next week just looing for sum information on the Course unit EX01-EX04 and if any one has any advice on the Practical side,and any Course notes they could help me out with and Email to me would be much appreciated..

Thanks all

Steven

on the practical side when making off the individually screened 6 pair cable dont cut the screens off like my mate did and only realised his mistake when it came to IRing the cable

View attachment 23685
also this might help unless your already familiar with it

vy4amuhy.jpg

on the practical side when making off the individually screened 6 pair cable dont cut the screens off like my mate did and only realised his mistake when it came to IRing the cable

Hi thanks for this pointer earlier on today just looking through what I have to do and taking notes for the practical, I came a cross what you was saying for EX 03 Practical Exam from the above Quote which is a good point and has been added to my notes, would you be able to tell how many Faults you had to find for the EX02 and the EX04 Practical and what to look out for as this is where they will probably try and trip every one up.Will I be looking for Earth Fault's and lose Connection [ETC] any info would be brilliant just want to get this course out of the way with now had enough all ready cheers buddy..

There's plenty of obvious faults on the set up to find but one which most people missed is on the one way bulkhead light installation, the bulkhead has a label stating maximum lamp wattage and this was exceeded. dont know if it would be the same in other test centers but its something to keep in mind. Also check all seals and gaskets and of course correct equipment installed in the correct zone, ie EXd, i,p,n,q

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Compex Units 01-04 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net