Discuss Complete novice, looking for some guidance in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Phreeme

DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope your all well.

So I have a little time on my hands and decided I would use it to build a small solar solution to heat the inflatable hot tub and save a little cash in the process. I've bought a couple of solar mats to heat the water and a 12v whale pump to push the water around the mat. What I'd like to do is drive the pump using a solar solution.

I guess I'm going to need a solar panel, a battery and some kind of controller? but I'm unsure. I dont want to break the bank by buying a load of unnecessary things or by over specing it, so I thought I would seek some sensible guidance from people who know.

Thanks in advance
Phree

Hi and welcome.

It's commendable that you have had an idea and would like to follow it up by installing some kind of solar/battery system for your hot tub.

However, this is not something a "complete novice" should even attempt, given that hot tub installations themselves have been, and still are, a "hot" topic for debate on this forum, and amongst the electrical community as a whole.

The main reason I say this is due to the multiple safety concerns that have to be considered in any situation where partially clothed wet people and electricity are in close proximity. Hot tubs are considered to be a special location, with a special set of regulations in the book just for hot tubs.

In short, please leave it to a professional if you want to live!

HI Loz2754,
I absolutely understand your concerns and sentiments, but let me assure you, my 'complete novice' relates to solar products and not to electrics and the safety. Having built numerous large and small, koi/ garden ponds with power to UV lights, pumps, airators, Vortex filters and more, I was thinking this was more an extention of that, but using solar, something I understand the basic off, but was hoping as I said, to get some guidance on the best product setup to use. But thanks for commenting. very much appreciated.

If you are able to mount the solar heating mats below the level of the water in the hot tub, a pump may not be required.

as the water heats in the mats, it will rise to the tub and be replaced with colder water by gravity.

If you are able to mount the solar heating mats below the level of the water in the hot tub, a pump may not be required.

as the water heats in the mats, it will rise to the tub and be replaced with colder water by gravity.
James,

I'll give that a go when the piping and mats arrive. Thank you

Rgds

still need a pump to shove the water through filter/s.

Reply to Complete novice, looking for some guidance in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net