Discuss Confused about a fault with downstairs lighting, any ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jonnyb

-
Reaction score
Hi chaps I have a query and wouldn't mind any suggestions. I've been preparing a consumer unit swap, ran the usual tests and no major worries except a low insulation resistance test on a ring. Going to swap the board tomorrow morning. Customer asked me to swap some lighting switches whilst I was there prepping today. Pulled the fuse for the downstairs lighting and this reversed the polarity on the ring sockets. Double checked and happened every time I pulled the fuse. Will investigate further in the morning but has anyone ever had this happen?

Yeah I'm going to, just never had this particular fault before and wondered if anyone else had. As it is, I suspect I'm going to be doing a lot of fault finding tomorrow before the board is in!

Looking at my notes the ring has a L/N issue, I've written that it has various results below 2Mohms ( it seemed to vary a bit but was always too low) I was going to double check all the neons etc and retest in the morning. There is a definite issue there but I don't know how the polarity on the sockets can swap because a fuse is pulled on a separate circuit. I'm sure I'll find out but it's annoying. So long as imI not missing anything blindingly obvious.

Looking at my notes the ring has a L/N issue, I've written that it has various results below 2Mohms ( it seemed to vary a bit but was always too low) I was going to double check all the neons etc and retest in the morning. There is a definite issue there but I don't know how the polarity on the sockets can swap because a fuse is pulled on a separate circuit. I'm sure I'll find out but it's annoying. So long as imI not missing anything blindingly obvious.

What are you using to confirm polarity swap ?

Sorry pete999, I wasn't very clear that I was still on about the ir test, the end to ends were fine, I had to do it early on as a radial was in with the ring and I needed to know which was which. Didn't do the figure 8 yet though as I knew I'd be retesting it. The reason I knew the polarity changed was because the telephone had been plugged back in and it made a whiney beep. Quickly used a socket tester then unscrewed and used my volt tester. Will look more in depth in the morning.

Sorry pete999, I wasn't very clear that I was still on about the ir test, the end to ends were fine, I had to do it early on as a radial was in with the ring and I needed to know which was which. Didn't do the figure 8 yet though as I knew I'd be retesting it. The reason I knew the polarity changed was because the telephone had been plugged back in and it made a whiney beep. Quickly used a socket tester then unscrewed and used my volt tester
what the f88k ,now I am confused .

Initially did a l/n to e at 250 full board ir test in the vain usual hope everything would be good, then had to separate as I didn't get what I wanted haha. Tested the ring at 250 then 500, I always do it like that.

Sorry pete999, I wasn't very clear that I was still on about the ir test, the end to ends were fine, I had to do it early on as a radial was in with the ring and I needed to know which was which. Didn't do the figure 8 yet though as I knew I'd be retesting it. The reason I knew the polarity changed was because the telephone had been plugged back in and it made a whiney beep. Quickly used a socket tester then unscrewed and used my volt tester. Will look more in depth in the morning.
a whiney beep on a phone is not a recognised test or a clue for fault finding. start with the basics, continuity.IR. polarity. as taught.

Yeah polarity at the board is fine, I quickly checked it again after the sockets went cuckoo. I'm going to just continue with testing in the am and see.

The phone actually stated on the screen that power was lost so i quickly chucked a socket tester in and then the confusion began. Fuse in - normal, fuse out same thing. Just wondered if anyone else has had it happen, before the testing gods give me a beat down!

If the ring final and lighting circuit are electrically separate with no interconnection to me, this is not possible. Removing the lighting fuse should not affect the ring final.

If only the "fuse was pulled" then they are not electrically separated as the neutrals will still be linked at the C.U. providing the opportunity for the circuits to become connected in series this would tie in with the poor IR. Most likely to be an earth fault on the RFC or even some equipment with high earth leakage.

Reply to Confused about a fault with downstairs lighting, any ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net