Discuss Confused by the shear volume and what to do in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I mainly work on boiler faults, and repairs. I sometimes have to install wireless thermostats, or renew the fcu switch. I’ve seen a video by an electrician about using a ratchet crimp tool, and a plumber with the same. I’m after some advice as I’m thinking to use bootlace ferrules on the stranded terminals, however, there’s that many to choose from I’m just confused as to what to purchase.

Info received so far: carry on using stranded terminals, purchase an expensive crimp tool with links to expensive tools, search amazon and eBay for approx £12 ones.

I’m one for investing in decent quality, it it’s not my main job, so don’t want to pay extreme amounts either. I’ve seen the ones from TLC, which I may end up purchasing, however would I use all the terminals in the kit?

Anyone got any thoughts on the following?

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SWA-RPU-Crimping-Uninsulated-Terminals/dp/B07D5KPT1X

TBH a bootlace crimper doesn't need to be top of the line tooling, as long as it forms the ferrule and traps the conductors most things will work. Most screw connections destroy the ferrule anyway.

I have similar to this and it works very well:

Without sounding pessimistic, the one @Strima mentioned, I’m concerned it wouldn’t stay on?
Once you have crimped the ferrule it will stay on, I use a similar one and have never had any issues with ferrules falling off.

Ferrules are designed to hold the fine copper strands together so they all enter the termination correctly and as such do not require the same mechanical strength as a through crimp for example.

i have one similar to the one strima mentioned.. purrrfick. got it from ebay with 500 assorted bootlace crimps for £20. never use my £50 Klein except for meter seals ( OOOPS I didn't say that, slip of the fingers).

Once you have crimped the ferrule it will stay on, I use a similar one and have never had any issues with ferrules falling off.

Ferrules are designed to hold the fine copper strands together so they all enter the termination correctly and as such do not require the same mechanical strength as a through crimp for example.

Sorry to ask, do these do the uninsulated types as well?

only if they are bootlace. the jaws crimp automatically according to the cable conductor size , unlike the red/blue/yellow crimpers which crimp the insulated part of the crimp.

Yes, for these types: 0.75mm Uninsulated Bootlace Ferrule (Pack of 100) - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4514334-0-75mm-uninsulated-bootlace-ferrule-pack-of-100

Think I’ll get myself a pair then, thanks for all your help.

I have these: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pro404-professional-ratchet-crimping for these types: Red Spliced Through Crimp Lug Terminals for Cables up to 1.5mm (Pack of 100) - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/695575-red-spliced-through-terminals-for-cables-up-to-1-5mm-pack-of-100

Thanks again.

...wrong section of the crimp die, which could be an issue if you then use a lever type terminal.

It looks like you are suggesting putting ferruled ends into a lever-operated cage-clamp terminal. I'm not sure that's a good idea, or did you mean something else?

It looks like you are suggesting putting ferruled ends into a lever-operated cage-clamp terminal. I'm not sure that's a good idea, or did you mean something else?

I took it to mean going from an automatic crimp tool, to the one where you have to choose the correct crimp size of the variable teeth (for lack of a better word) like these?:

Cord End Bootlace Ferrule Terminal Crimper 0.5mm² to 10mm² | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cord-End-Bootlace-Ferrule-Terminal-Crimper-0-5mm-to-10mm/263737353722?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D31e8c630cff44aeca43725fb66bd533d%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D174237351843%26itm%3D263737353722%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A335a2d51-8186-11ea-a376-74dbd1802106%7Cparentrq%3A8dd3c2111710ad4a4ce2b7f2ffdd8486%7Ciid%3A1
[automerge]1587234877[/automerge]
Also, does anyone know if it’s worth using a bootlace or anything on earth clamps, or just use the large strands?

Last edited:
Ah OK, makes sense and hence your point that you do need to make sure that the ferrule is properly in contact with the conductor and formed up into the right shape, rather than relying on a terminal screw to squash it.

One lesson learnt with thin wires , if they click when you bend them then may be over crushed , snapping at first point of contact. Crushing small things to death is not the way to go !
( Practice .. and destruction test - with similar/same materials )

Reply to Confused by the shear volume and what to do in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net