Discuss Connect plugged bar/pub light to mains in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

karatekid

DIY
Reaction score
hi guys

Before to having my conservatory I had an external security light, which was turned on and off by a light switch in the kitchen (light switch still present and wired in). When my conservatory was built the external connection was covered by a blanking box as the external wall became the internal wall.

THe blanking box/cover is pictured here showing the cables that were once going into the security light now in blanking box - Wall Connection.png - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbfhepta1amntv9/Wall%20Connection.png?dl=0

I am purchasing a neon bar/pub sign which id like to hang up on the wall next to this (its qute high up and far from an actual socket. Am I able to take the plug off and wire it directly to the cables coming out of hte wall from the mains that once serviced the security light?

If not, how am I able to do this without having to plug the light into an extension lead running up the wall?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers

if the existing junction box is on a lighting circuit, should be OK, assuming that the new light is 230V. problem could be it may have a high start-up current that may trip the breaker.only way to find out is to try it.

i would have thought it was one or the other. 110 -240 is a large range.

Does your bar light come with a fitted plug?
You could connect a socket to the old supply and simply plug it in.

This would however open the fires of hell, and the coming of the antichrist.... (socket on a lighting circuit) just stick a label on it, be fine.

This would however open the fires of hell, and the coming of the antichrist.... (socket on a lighting circuit) just stick a label on it, be fine.

Or use a 5A socket.

Yes it comes with a plug. The connection on the wall is connected to a light switch in the kitchen. Do you suggest I wire the light direct to the wires or add a 5a socket? Or a 13a socket? Sorry my electrical knowledge is less than zero!

If your knowledge is less than zero I suggest you consult an electrician to install a socket outlet which has additional rcd protection.

Reply to Connect plugged bar/pub light to mains in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net