Discuss Connecting pulse sensor to lower voltage DAQ in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello there!

Simple question, I have energy meters like those:

this one is on a french website, but the operation is simple. This one in particular uses an optocoupler 27 Vdc for the pulses, but what is the voltage output? is it really 27 V pulses? How do i know if it's safe to plug in a low voltage data acquisition card?

For example this meter doesn't specify anything on how the voltage of the pulses works...

I am kind of lost.

thanks in advance for your help.

As far as I can tell, that pulse output is an opto-coupled transistor, so it doesn't actually output any voltage itself. Rather, it switches a DC signal of your choice, with a max voltage of 27v and a max current of 24mA. The transistor junction is polarised, so it only works in one DC orientation hence the +/- rather than just 13/14 terminal labels.

Hey, thanks for the answer, seems logical. But if i take the second meter that i linked, i've looked into it, in fact, it refers to a Uimp (Impulse voltage) varying from 12 to 27 V. even though it doesn't "output" any "voltage" i would still fry an arduino or raspberry for example...?

Hey, thanks for the answer, seems logical. But if i take the second meter that i linked, i've looked into it, in fact, it refers to a Uimp (Impulse voltage) varying from 12 to 27 V. even though it doesn't "output" any "voltage" i would still fry an arduino or raspberry for example...?
I think those work at lower voltages like 3.3 or 5V yes? DIN meters like those are more often connected to PLC inputs that operate at 24V. I think it will likely work, but the lower voltage may not be enough to pass the transistor.

Where are you looking at installing it? You've posted in the Auto Electrical forum but cars don't normally have 230VAC running around for this meter to measure.

Oh i thought this section was referring to auto=automatism (PLC, micro controllers...) :)
Anyway, it's for solar inverters, sometimes, they can't communicate in RS485 so i need to install a meter for monitoring purposes, but why buy a PLC worth a couple hundreds to monitor a meter that costs 10x less :/
Guess i need to search for another solution.

There are definitely meters like that one that have an RS-485 interface. Ali-express is full of them, if you want reputable brands I'm sure an electrical supply store could advise you.

There are definitely meters like that one that have an RS-485 interface. Ali-express is full of them, if you want reputable brands I'm sure an electrical supply store could advise you.
I will look into it, they don't seem that expensive, I still have a couple of the ones linked though... but I surely didn't think about just replacing them with RS485 meters!
Thanks a lot for you help!

Reply to Connecting pulse sensor to lower voltage DAQ in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock