Currently reading:
conservatory wiring

Discuss conservatory wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pjb1

Been asked to quote to put sockets and a light in a conservatory. The house has the old wylex rewireable fuse cu, Can I take a feed from that cu to feed a 2way Rcd unit in the conservatory.

An alternative would be to put the Rcd unit at the mains position,run a radial to a switched fused spur for the lights and loop off for the sockets at the switched spur

i do quite a few conservatories for a few builders etc. with an old cu like this i tend to just take a spur from a local source ideally ring main and feed an RCD fuse spur for a 13A radial, which can also feed the lighting with a 3/5 amp spur, obviously depends on what customer intends to use power wise in their, but this is the norm

Pbarrett
Just be informed they want underfloor heating in this conservatory. Would it be ok to put another rcd spur unit to feed the underfloor heating next to the one powering the sockets and lighting These will be feed off the existing ringmain ?

depends on the wattage of the underfloor heating, you need to work out the loading from how much it draws per square meter, the programmer will need a form of isolation (switch spur usual for me) and suitable fused to its loading

Remember, you can't spur off a spur.
Ideally you should be looking at splitting the ring, as I said in the other post, I would be trying to convince mr and mrs unconvincable that a CU upgrade would be in their best interests.
Some people won't listen though, the public need to be educated about the safety benefits involved with bringing their wiring somewhere near to upto date. We have discussed this one so many times on here.

When it comes to filling in the test sheets Do I test where I have installed the Rcd switched spur into the ringmain ?. How do you describe this on a test sheet? The Ze Reading would be from the main cu.
Zs at the Light and Last socket on the radial.

Any Advise you wise people.

Reply to conservatory wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock