Discuss consumer unit change/move in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

montybaber

I have been asked to plan a consumer unit change and the owner wants it sited within reach in case of nuisance tripping etc and her not being able to climb up steps etc.

I plan to take all existing circuit wiring into an adaptable box with din mounted terminals and making an easily accesible joint box between old and new wiring and then running trunking down to the new board (possibly in singles for ease fully idented of course)

for the ring circuits would it be ok to wire in 1 single conductor (double the csa obviously)

Sorry if its a stupid question, please dont flame me :eek: also is this what everyone else would do??

hi matey, id defo go for the adaptable box and everything else you mentioned, sept for the single core for the ring? i think id be tempted to keep the ends of the ring at the consumer unit for general testing purposes and not to confuse anybody else that works on it in the future.

rich

Thanks..was thinking the same tbh just thought that as the box is literally gonna be 2 ft max above the consumer unit it was an acceptable point for testing and dissconnecting etc.

Really will not mean too much more work though so i'll keep it seperate:) thanks for your help

Thanks..was thinking the same tbh just thought that as the box is literally gonna be 2 ft max above the consumer unit it was an acceptable point for testing and dissconnecting etc.

Really will not mean too much more work though so i'll keep it seperate:) thanks for your help

i would keep them seperate as well, otherwise you would effectively have a ring on the end of a radial,

additionally, at the point you changed from (presumably) 4mm singles to 2.5 tw&E, would you not need to put protection in because of the change in cable size:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i would keep them seperate as well, otherwise you would effectively have a ring on the end of a radial,

additionally, at the point you changed from (presumably) 4mm singles to 2.5 tw&E, would you not need to put protection in because of the change in cable size:rolleyes::rolleyes:

thanks for your help :)

well I thought as long as the radial circuit is wired in a cable with a sufficiant current carrying capacity then one single conductor would'nt be a problem, and of course as a ring arrangement the two smaller csa cables are more than adequate in size to carry the same current as the single conductor so no I wouldnt have thought protection is neccesary

but like I said for the sake of running a couple of extra cables it is'nt worth worrying about ;)

so are you saying the" 4mm is on the original 32a mcb and at the box put another 32a mcb"???:confused::confused::confused:

I've got another question with regards changing a DB. If the conductors from the circuits needed extending in the new board would you use in-line crimps or terminal (chock) block?? Any other thoughts???

yes, please discuss, its mentioned at the bottom of the 1 page, about using through crimps on solid cables, is it classed as bad practice ? hehe !! :)

Reply to consumer unit change/move in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock