Discuss Consumer unit change in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

saxon

-
Reaction score
I’m only an apprentice and of course, I’ve curios about a lot of things. I was in my friends house recently, who is getting an electrician to upgrade there, rather old, consumer unit up to 18th edition standards.

I had a look, out of curiosity and seen this (uploaded a photo) and I was curious on how to make the board fully dead as there isn’t an isolation switch for what I can see as the meter tails go to the bullet? And obviously I won’t be pulling that out.
My main question is, how would I fully isolate this board?
Thanks for your help

Consumer unit change 80DADFA5-B4C1-468B-92A1-77DB47FAE79D - EletriciansForums.net

Consumer unit change 0841C790-6521-4772-9210-79673D55FECC - EletriciansForums.net

I had a look, out of curiosity and seen this (uploaded a photo) and I was curious on how to make the board fully dead as there isn’t an isolation switch for what I can see as the meter tails go to the bullet? And obviously I won’t be pulling that out.
Thanks for your help

Us us down south have yours them up north as the same DNO, I believes with slight tweaks.

Down here, down south, SSE allows Scheme members to pull main fuses with abandon, following certain criteria. Dunno how that pans out in bonnie Scotland, but you could enquire with your DNO.

Pull the fuse. It doesn't even have a seal on it.
No... I don't see a seal... never had a seal as long as I remember.....

Just phone the supplier, ask them to fit an isolator. Might cost a little bit, but makes life easy for the sparks.

Is that the going rate for an apprentice these days? A tenner?
and what did you buy with that? A big box of Jaffa cakes? Good man.

Ps... who took the front off the board? naughty naughty.

£160 in Bristol for DNO to fit an isolator. If you buy wylex isolator and put it up ready with your tails in they will happily connect to that. The isolator cost £23 bit of a saving eh?

That earth is picked up from an old disused supply conduit, by the looks. Something weird going on.

I’m only an apprentice and of course, I’ve curios about a lot of things. I was in my friends house recently, who is getting an electrician to upgrade there, rather old, consumer unit up to 18th edition standards.

Thanks for your help

View attachment 48414

View attachment 48415
Call the seal fairy

Get the DNO to remove the fuse and fit an isolator in the process.
Customer had to pay 75 inc vat for that last week. Fuse holder looked very stuck and never been moved. So called wpd. They stood and watched whilst i cut tails and put in isolation switch. If they did that bit that was an extra £100!
Wpd will charge 75 per visit so were they to have come back later to reenergise all in was 150.. robbing lot

Reply to Consumer unit change in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock