Discuss Consumer unit cover problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello there
I’ve Recently worked in a domestic dwelling and had to take the cover of the board off. When reinstating the cover of the board I was struggling to get the cover on properly. When I eventually did i could only screw one side of the board properly. The left screw was not catching so I left the board as it was under the cupboard. I’m now having second thoughts thinking I should have done something to catch the left side of the board. Will this be alright or shall I go back and try and fix the board ? Just with it being in such an awkward place I thought one screw was alright at the time. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Sounds like most BG boards! was it BG? little trick i have used is use a heat gun on back of it, it heats the metal and lets it 'relax' , then wearing gloves put it on, as it cools it sort of locks in place and then screw on, could also try some slightly longer bolts/screws depending on type of board. its not uncommon at all, I regularly get it, once had one that was so distorted it wouldnt go on for love or money. had to drill out the bolt holes on the CU and used longer bolts, made 2 knockouts on side to hold the nuts then used closed grommets to fill holes. thing looked like it had been run over it was so bent and twisted

Sounds like most BG boards! was it BG? little trick i have used is use a heat gun on back of it, it heats the metal and lets it 'relax' , then wearing gloves put it on, as it cools it sort of locks in place and then screw on, could also try some slightly longer bolts/screws depending on type of board. its not uncommon at all, I regularly get it, once had one that was so distorted it wouldnt go on for love or money. had to drill out the bolt holes on the CU and used longer bolts, made 2 knockouts on side to hold the nuts then used closed grommets to fill holes. thing looked like it had been run over it was so bent and twisted

In all honesty I can’t remember what brand consumer unit it was, all I remember was being in a cupboard a lot smaller than me trying for the life of me to try and slot the cover over the MCBs and RCDs. So would you say it’ll be alright to leave one side fully screwed and the other as far back as I can get ? Or shall I go back and try and work some magic? As I say the board is totally out of the way of anything and the visible half of the DB is the side that is properly secured.
Thanks for the reply !

I had the same problem recently when i tried to get the front cover on with one screw in place .
I went to my van got out a hammer
One six inch nail and hammed it in
Job done .try and lift the lid the front of the board so both screws attached to the holes if possible.

I had the same problem recently when i tried to get the front cover on with one screw in place .
I went to my van got out a hammer
One six inch nail and hammed it in
Job done .try and lift the lid the front of the board so both screws attached to the holes if possible.
Thanks for the reply ! So if you were in my shoes would you go back or would you leave it how it is, I couldn’t even get in the cupboard with a hammer and nail it was tiny

when you're passing the site, drop in and stick some gorilla tape round the side that's loose.:D:D:D.

Hi,you are not going to get any responsible person,to ok the leaving of an un-secured cover.
Kids pile gear in cupboard - jam door shut- cover dislodged-kid grabs cover to push back so not getting rollicking-fingers behind edge in awkward,small cupboard-kid finds live part...

My advice would be to get somebody competent,to rectify the un-secured cover,in a property,belonging to someone else.

Just be careful especially if it's in a place were access is limited and you maybe can't see properly what's happening. I've see many flash marks left by people being too forceful with covers where a stray cable or wire was trapped and also flash damage caused by retrofit screws that were sharp and/or too long having punctured insulation somewhere they shouldn't have done.

With BG boards it almost makes you not want to remove the neutral when working on a circuit so not to trip the RCD! I’d rather take the risk of having to reset the time on all the electronic clocks than remove a BG cover!

Just done a bg 10 way today and noticed the cover went on easier when I fit an mcb on the unprotected way as a spacer between the main switch and the rh rcd.Could be changed for an rcbo if ever needed.
Regards,S

Reply to Consumer unit cover problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net