Discuss Consumer Unit Exchange Probs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Damon

Okay first things first...I have not attempted this yet but I would like some advice.

My consumer unit is crap,small and overloaded with untidy wiring.

I want to move my consumer unit just a lil furtur away where there is more room and I can fit a modern split load rcd unit but.........

The current wiring in my consumer unit is very short and none of my current connections,ring main,cooker,shower,lights etc....will stretch to fit to my new consumer unit position.

Other than rewiring how can I safely join the cables or am i not allowed to do this?
I have seen but not used these modern looking push fit connectors etc....

Yes I am inexperienced and all consumer units I have installed have been on brand new wiring installations in the college workshop.

Any advice is much appreciated...I have asked my tutor several times but they just wiggle out of the conversation...Probably to stop me attempting this myself lol

if the joins are accesible they wouldnt have to be push fit, i would probably put an adaptable box up with some din rail and din rail connectors with trunking going to the new CU position., how far away are you talking? extending the tails any further than 3M would require a sitchfuse

I would say all the above, but get someone that is experienced in this field, as what you do in the classroom to what you will do at home is different ( isolation, securely mounting the board etc, taking out the main incoming fuse etc etc ).

Thats no disrespect to you or your knowledge ok.
Good luck and best regards,
Sav

Thanks for the advice im only talking moving it 30cm but in a more accessible location but still in a safe out of reach area.
Basically out of the tiny cupboard to the right a bit.

is it really that important, more hassle than its worth, can you test all the wiring, what happens when you fit the new board and the rcd starts tripping, is the bonding upto scratch, are you registered to carry out this work etc etc etc

to be honest it was an rcd i wanted fitted on my circuits as i said i have a pokey consumer unit full to the max and its all labled up incorrectly ie: downstairs lights is actually kitchen sockets etc...

Recently we had the electric meter exchanged and i asked the guy if he could fit an isolator so we didnt have to remove the100amp main fuse and he said there was no room as the area it was fitted in was too congested yet if it was moved( remember i want an updated board anyways) he could fit one.

My house was definately wired using cowboy electricians without a doubt.

And guess what.....I bought my house off a builder

You could if you wanted,wire and connect a new unit with all circuits ready for jointing, on the bench in your workshop
Just leave the necesary lengths sticking out
Mount the board in its new position ready for connection to the old
All this without touching the existing

This will give you the chance to have a very neat consumer unit lay out and more time to concentrate on the jointing
You could then replace your existing with an adaptable box and terminate with whatever method you chose
to the new already connected board

Most likely
Your house was perhaps wired by the builder and an electrician may not have been involved
More likely than "a cowboy electrican"

That idea had crossed my mind as I have done some great very neat consumer units and the bit about replacing my old CU with an adapatable box I was thinking along the lines of them WAGO push fit connectors but....

Do i treat my adaptable box as an old CU...what I am trying to say is do i use a four way wago connector like this one: WAGO 4 WIRE ELECTRIC PUSH CONNECTOR TERMINAL BLOCK x 20 on eBay (end time 11-Aug-10 16:11:08 BST)
Which is rated at 32A for my ring mains and so on....2 live in 2 live out so to speak and then i repeat for the lighting circuits,cooker,shower etc....and repeat the process for the earths and neutrals etc..

I have seen these wago conectors but never used them before.

think you better do a full test before introducing rcd into the mix, may end up opening a can of worms, with a bit of luck it may just be a straight swap

Agreed with ezzzekiel ! some jobs are a real pain if you dont test before to reveal any problems ! also you may find the shower and cooker may be rated over the 32a ! Just a thought. I have used wagos very good and hassle free ! also is there any chance of modifying the cupboard to make a straight swop possible ? and as said are you going through building control or using it for assessment perpose for a scheme ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Consumer Unit Exchange Probs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net