Discuss Consumer unit in cupboard in Shower Room in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,
looking for some assistance on this as finding different information wherever i look.

We have a garage external to the house, which we are turning into a small 1 bedroom flat, due to the layout the shower room will have to be located in the corner where the garage consumer unit is, which is a two way consumer unit, rcd protected with lights and sockets coming off it.

The question is whether I can just build a small cupboard around it with a door, or will i have to partition off the corner so the consumer unit is in a seperate room behind a partitition.

I have found several posts mentioning new builds with consumer units in toilet / shower rooms, but just wonder where exactly i stand with current regulations, I'm in Scotland also.

Look forward to your replies on this.

Thanks
Robert

First of all, rooms with just a toilet and basin are not classed as a special location, just “rooms containing a bath or shower”

The regs say everything in this special location has to be rcd protected, so this consumer unit may or may not be.

It’s not so much being able to be touch with wet hands, but how moisture in the air can affect the protective devices through corrosion.

Unfortunately it isn't so clear cut.

There are restrictions for rooms containing a bath or shower, in Scotland this includes that switches (such as lights) are prohibited - although pull switches are OK.

However it has been established that anything in a fixed cupboard or enclosure is defined as not within the room. (So booster pumps etc can be underneath the bath tub as long as it's enclosed.) Also non-switching things such as fixed equipment like showers, macerator units etc are OK.

This means that there isn't any rule prohibiting consumer units inside a room containing a bath or shower, as long as its within some enclosure such as a cupboard.

However many people including some electricians just don't like it, and fall back on general "catch all" regulations such as "suitability for the environment " - which may be correct in some cases.

If you have a shower with limited extraction the humidity could be at 100% - not good for metal consumer units so not really suitable!

On the other hand, a well ventilated room, with a good cupboard/enclosure preventing high levels of moisture from getting to the consumer unit doesn't fall foul of the suitability issue.

I know this isn't a clear definitive answer, but it really does depend on the actual environment it's in.

First of all, rooms with just a toilet and basin are not classed as a special location, just “rooms containing a bath or shower”

The regs say everything in this special location has to be rcd protected, so this consumer unit may or may not be.

It’s not so much being able to be touch with wet hands, but how moisture in the air can affect the protective devices through corrosion.
The existing consumer unit is RCD protected, so hoping if i make an airtight cupboard around it to keep any moisture out i should be ok?

Unfortunately it isn't so clear cut.

There are restrictions for rooms containing a bath or shower, in Scotland this includes that switches (such as lights) are prohibited - although pull switches are OK.

However it has been established that anything in a fixed cupboard or enclosure is defined as not within the room. (So booster pumps etc can be underneath the bath tub as long as it's enclosed.) Also non-switching things such as fixed equipment like showers, macerator units etc are OK.

This means that there isn't any rule prohibiting consumer units inside a room containing a bath or shower, as long as its within some enclosure such as a cupboard.

However many people including some electricians just don't like it, and fall back on general "catch all" regulations such as "suitability for the environment " - which may be correct in some cases.

If you have a shower with limited extraction the humidity could be at 100% - not good for metal consumer units so not really suitable!

On the other hand, a well ventilated room, with a good cupboard/enclosure preventing high levels of moisture from getting to the consumer unit doesn't fall foul of the suitability issue.

I know this isn't a clear definitive answer, but it really does depend on the actual environment it's in.
Many thanks for the detailed reply, i think from what you've both said, it should be ok if i build an airtight cupboard around it, which will be a lot better than having to partition off the end of the room.

Many thanks for the detailed reply, i think from what you've both said, it should be ok if i build an airtight cupboard around it, which will be a lot better than having to partition off the end of the room.
Ultimately the electrician doing the work will have their own opinion and likes or dislikes, so check with them and if they are happy with what you are doing.

Is a 2 way consumer unit going to be adequate for a 1 bed flat?🤔
Hoping so,its mostly going to be lpg gas, hot water, heating from a combi, and then gas cooker also, so no real load of any sort electrical wise, but the electrician will confirm, can upgrade if needs be.

So this is a CU just for the garage being turned into a flat?
Is it going to still be supplied from the main house, or given a separate supply and meter?

So this is a CU just for the garage being turned into a flat?
Is it going to still be supplied from the main house, or given a separate supply and meter?
The supply will remain as is, with the supply coming from the house, the flat will be a holiday rental, air bnb type thing, so no need at present foran additional meter, if we ever rent it out long term we would probably fit a meter to the supply at that point.

This is a genuine question...given your location, do you have recourse to many electricians? Obviously there will be some contractors, but I am really keen to know what sort of choice you have there. OK, i could Google it, but real "on the ground" availability is something I'd like to know.
Also, I guess you will experience some quite severe external conditions, so I'm interested about the kind of outside installations you might have to plan...are there many EV installations, for example?
Finally, just as an aside, what a beautiful place to live!

This is a genuine question...given your location, do you have recourse to many electricians? Obviously there will be some contractors, but I am really keen to know what sort of choice you have there. OK, i could Google it, but real "on the ground" availability is something I'd like to know.
Also, I guess you will experience some quite severe external conditions, so I'm interested about the kind of outside installations you might have to plan...are there many EV installations, for example?
Finally, just as an aside, what a beautiful place to live!
Yes there are a few, not a whole lot, but a few, same as all the trades.
Yes we have severe weather, long dark days in winter etc.
As far as EV installations there are a few popping up, but they are all council owned and operated so far.
And yes, agreed, a beautiful place, and it's home.

Yes there are a few, not a whole lot, but a few, same as all the trades.
Yes we have severe weather, long dark days in winter etc.
As far as EV installations there are a few popping up, but they are all council owned and operated so far.
And yes, agreed, a beautiful place, and it's home.
I have been/go up there a few times scuba diving.

The diving is great, but I haven't toured much of the island, usually berth/board in Lerwick from the Aberdeen ferry and the usual trips up to Brae to Frankies fish & chip place (best on the island?! - it's ok) and of course ----t for photos at the signs, same as one does in Orkney!

Only in summer though so nights never really that long if truly at all.

Nice place.

EDIT

I don't know why it keeps removing the village name, I know it sounds like a rude word, but it's just the name of the village!!!! - It's not even spelt the same!

Here's the location:Consumer unit in cupboard in Shower Room Screenshot_20230205-093345_Maps - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
I have been/go up there a few times scuba diving.

The diving is great, but I haven't toured much of the island, usually berth/board in Lerwick from the Aberdeen ferry and the usual trips up to Brae to Frankies fish & chip place (best on the island?! - it's ok) and of course ----t for photos at the signs, same as one does in Orkney!

Only in summer though so nights never really that long if truly at all.

Nice place.

EDIT

I don't know why it keeps removing the village name, I know it sounds like a rude word, but it's just the name of the village!!!! - It's not even spelt the same!

Here's the location:View attachment 105906
haha, yea i cant understand why it's removing that name, weird, lots of funny place names in Shetland and all the islands, i do a bit of diving as well, mostly for scallops, or around boats in harbours etc.

Just move the consumer unit to a more suitable location, its not going to be much work to move a 2 way CU.
The moving of the consumer unit wouldnt be as much of an issue, it's the armoured cable supplying it from the other side thats the problem, also the timber frame walls etc, not easy to get the cable moved along. short of putting all the circuits into a JB and extending them across that way. It would be do-able but just thinking an airtight cupboard will be as good as anything.

The moving of the consumer unit wouldnt be as much of an issue, it's the armoured cable supplying it from the other side thats the problem, also the timber frame walls etc, not easy to get the cable moved along. short of putting all the circuits into a JB and extending them across that way. It would be do-able but just thinking an airtight cupboard will be as good as anything.

Armoured cable is easy enough to extend.

Surely if you're changing this room from a garage to a habitable room then the existing circuits will be getting rewired to serve the new purpose?

Armoured cable is easy enough to extend.

Surely if you're changing this room from a garage to a habitable room then the existing circuits will be getting rewired to serve the new purpose?
Some small parts will be getting changed, but luckily the ring main and lights are all just about in the right place, need to remove a couple of sockets that is about it, and run a couple of switch cables to move the lights from one circuit to 4, but nothing much needs changed thankfully.

Some small parts will be getting changed, but luckily the ring main and lights are all just about in the right place, need to remove a couple of sockets that is about it, and run a couple of switch cables to move the lights from one circuit to 4, but nothing much needs changed thankfully.
It's not actually a garage at the moment, it was a garage when it was built, around 12 years ago, we never used it as that, so changed it into a Cinema and games room. It has now become defunct since the last house extension, so now turning it into a flat.

Reply to Consumer unit in cupboard in Shower Room in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock