Discuss consumer unit install query. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Vaquero

Hi all, I normally stick to minor works etc but have been asked to fit and certify a new consumer unit. I am qualified to do the consumer unit but I have a question about the testing. I am ok to test my own work but I am one exam short of being able to legally test the work of others (got the online and practical, just the written to do), however, when I install a new CU, does the wiring become part of my install that I can legally test or is it part of a condition report? I am not with a scheme so I will have to inform the local authorities etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks all.

Hi all, I normally stick to minor works etc but have been asked to fit and certify a new consumer unit. I am qualified to do the consumer unit but I have a question about the testing. I am ok to test my own work but I am one exam short of being able to legally test the work of others (got the online and practical, just the written to do), however, when I install a new CU, does the wiring become part of my install that I can legally test or is it part of a condition report? I am not with a scheme so I will have to inform the local authorities etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks all.

You may want to research that a bit more! :)

And before replacing the Consumers Unit, a prerequisite would be to test the entire installation, not much use in bunging in a nice new CU with RCDs all singing all dancing, only to find out you have faults in the existing installation that trip the RCDs

I am assuming you are in England or Wales so notifying the local authority would be required as you are not part of a self certification scheme.
It would be a good idea to look up on your local council website the cost for doing this through them as the costs are usually prohibitively high.
They would also need to be informed ahead of time and have the opportunity to monitor your work, if they deem it necessary.

For the wiring regulations you need to ensure that any circuits that you reconnect to the consumer unit are safe for continued use.
You are not providing an installation certificate for the existing circuits, your installation certificate only covers the installation of the consumer unit (if that is the extent of the work you are doing), however in order to ensure safety it would be necessary to test the existing installation as part of your installation certificate. as said above a pre test is well advised.

I am assuming you are in England or Wales so notifying the local authority would be required as you are not part of a self certification scheme.
It would be a good idea to look up on your local council website the cost for doing this through them as the costs are usually prohibitively high.
They would also need to be informed ahead of time and have the opportunity to monitor your work, if they deem it necessary.

For the wiring regulations you need to ensure that any circuits that you reconnect to the consumer unit are safe for continued use.
You are not providing an installation certificate for the existing circuits, your installation certificate only covers the installation of the consumer unit (if that is the extent of the work you are doing), however in order to ensure safety it would be necessary to test the existing installation as part of your installation certificate. as said above a pre test is well advised.

Now, that is an answer, thank you. I would definitely be pretesting as anything I'm putting my name to has to be safe, I like to be able to sleep at night! (and also during the day if at all possible). I will check out the local authority costs as well as I hadnt realised it could be prohibitively high. Thanks again.

prohibitilivy high equates to around £300. so i 'd consider other options.

Now, that is an answer, thank you. I would definitely be pretesting as anything I'm putting my name to has to be safe, I like to be able to sleep at night! (and also during the day if at all possible). I will check out the local authority costs as well as I hadnt realised it could be prohibitively high. Thanks again.
Hi Vaquero. What tests are you going to carry out?

£360 inc vat if use building control. £288 to join stroma for a year. If you are qualified it's a no brainier really. If this is your first job your probably better getting somebody else to work with you and them issue a cert

I was just trying to point out that there is no exam that makes you "legally" able to test other peoples work. Are you reffering to the 2395 by any chance? :smiley2:

I am yes, I have the online and practical, just waiting for the written. As I understand it, that final exam is all I am missing from being able to carry out the testing of other peoples work. I have all the other requirements, part P, regs etc.

£360 inc vat if use building control. £288 to join stroma for a year. If you are qualified it's a no brainier really. If this is your first job your probably better getting somebody else to work with you and them issue a cert

It really is a no brainer, you are right. Didn't realise building control was so expensive. Info greatly appreciated.

Reply to consumer unit install query. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net