Discuss Consumer unit need to be mounted in plywood or plasterboard? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It has to be securely fixed to a suitable surface, normally a fixed part of the fabric of the building such as a wall.

If mounting on plasterboard, such as a stud wall, I tend to fix a piece of plywood to the wall using the studs/noggins then fix the DB to that, just makes it more secure.

It doesn't
DB or any means of switching would have to be mounted but means strong enough to hold it from comming mechanicly off under stress that can be reasonably expected, plus some other reasons incorporating fire , exposure to other influences etc... It does not matter if you even use magic to make it stand in a free air as long as its mechanically safe (or not causing a potential risk) and sound in both normal and plausible emergency condition (such as fire, leaking pipes...). Studs are only some of the options. I would not consider plasterboard as suitable means of fastening DB,unless maybe cement board(backer board). With suitable means of fixing it is perfectly OK to put DB directly on a brick/concrete or steal stud.
Make sure it is acessible when in use (not behind lot of junk in a full corner cupboard under the stairs or behind pods plates inside the kitchen cupboard;-). Consider Document M (I find it the most missed one when placing DB). If you haven't read at-least relevant parts of Documents A,B,P,M then you should catchup, as BS7671 is just guidance, they are law (along with others like parts of EaWR etc)

It doesn't
DB or any means of switching would have to be mounted but means strong enough to hold it from comming mechanicly off under stress that can be reasonably expected, plus some other reasons incorporating fire , exposure to other influences etc... It does not matter if you even use magic to make it stand in a free air as long as its mechanically safe (or not causing a potential risk) and sound in both normal and plausible emergency condition (such as fire, leaking pipes...). Studs are only some of the options. I would not consider plasterboard as suitable means of fastening DB,unless maybe cement board(backer board). With suitable means of fixing it is perfectly OK to put DB directly on a brick/concrete or steal stud.
Make sure it is acessible when in use (not behind lot of junk in a full corner cupboard under the stairs or behind pods plates inside the kitchen cupboard;-). Consider Document M (I find it the most missed one when placing DB). If you haven't read at-least relevant parts of Documents A,B,P,M then you should catchup, as BS7671 is just guidance, they are law (along with others like parts of EaWR etc)
Dis boards high up on a wall...
Encouraging people to ballance on chairs fumbling around in the dark attempting to reach it....

How many times have we come across that one...?
Boards up near the ceiling...

seen 1 yesterday, crawl in space under stairs. fitted when house was built. luckily my remit was to replace a burnt shower switch, cables all burnt due to bad fitting 1 month previous. took nearly 2 hours as wet-pants had boarded over in the attic to put his tank in the way of everything and had to multitool some board out to get cable slack.

Dis boards high up on a wall...
Pretty much any BT exchange built in the 60-70's, average height is around 3.5m and a complete pain in the hoop to work on.

Reply to Consumer unit need to be mounted in plywood or plasterboard? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock