Discuss Consumer unit to be moved away from service head in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chris

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have been asked to relocate a consumer unit from a cupboard outside a house into the inside of the property. The main fuse and meter will be remaining outside however the run is about 6/7 metres long, i believe it states in BS7671 that the meter tails cannot exceed 3m in length.
would this require me to put a separate fused connection unit within the 3m of isolater and then run a 25mm SWA + 16mm earthing conductor from the fused connection unit, to the 6/7m away consumer unit location? If not who knows a better way?
thanks, chris.

Yep, bung in a fused isolator mate.

Newbie question if I can,would a time delayed rcd comply in that instance?

Hi everyone.
I have been asked to relocate a consumer unit from a cupboard outside a house into the inside of the property. The main fuse and meter will be remaining outside however the run is about 6/7 metres long, i believe it states in BS7671 that the meter tails cannot exceed 3m in length.
would this require me to put a separate fused connection unit within the 3m of isolater and then run a 25mm SWA + 16mm earthing conductor from the fused connection unit, to the 6/7m away consumer unit location? If not who knows a better way?
thanks, chris.
How far advanced are you in your career Chris, only to answer your question with any clarity it would help if we knew what your experiences are and what qualifications you hold, your profile throws up an error message.

How far advanced are you in your career Chris, only to answer your question with any clarity it would help if we knew what your experiences are and what qualifications you hold, your profile throws up an error message.
no worries pete, i served a 4 year apprenticeship and have been qualified for 2 years and have my 17th edition (18th booked in), the 2357 NVQ and just recently passed the Inspection and testing 2391.

Tns, but the consumer unit has been moved by someone before we bought the place as the original tails go into the rcd I mentioned earlier then leave the rcd in armoured and go to the unit under the stairs,

Tns, but the consumer unit has been moved by someone before we bought the place as the original tails go into the rcd I mentioned earlier then leave the rcd in armoured and go to the unit under the stairs,

Then I cannot see why that RCD has been installed.

Reply to Consumer unit to be moved away from service head in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net