Discuss Consumer Units? Is there any difference between manufacturers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

So I am going to be looking at upgrading to a new a consumer unit in the next few months and I would like to know whether there is such a thing as premium units and budget units because the prices I've looked certainly indicate this to be the case. If so are there actually any differences performance wise. Is there such a thing as a good consumer unit and a bad consumer unit. Surely they are manufactured to the same standard and comparable quality.

Surely the stuff that can go wrong with a consumer unit is more down to installer error than the actual fault of the unit.

Is it something I should even bother researching and then finding myself or would it be a wiser choice to opt for one the electrician I use recommends.

Thanks

if your sparks recommends a particular brand, go with it as he most likely has a selection of spare MCBs/RCDs for that particular brand.also he/she will be more familiar with certain brands and that can be a cost saving in installation time.

Hi All

So I am going to be looking at upgrading to a new a consumer unit in the next few months and I would like to know whether there is such a thing as premium units and budget units because the prices I've looked certainly indicate this to be the case. If so are there actually any differences performance wise. Is there such a thing as a good consumer unit and a bad consumer unit. Surely they are manufactured to the same standard and comparable quality.

Surely the stuff that can go wrong with a consumer unit is more down to installer error than the actual fault of the unit.

Is it something I should even bother researching and then finding myself or would it be a wiser choice to opt for one the electrician I use recommends.

Thanks
As with most other scenario's I can think of,the cheapest is not usually actually the cheapest if you get my drift. To answer your question yes you are better off letting the electrician recommend the consumer unit,aside from everything else I would say there is very little possibility of you buying the right consumer unit and necessary mcb's etc

I avoid BG unless its specified as the covers are a pain to get one and off, the main switch is one or two mm different to the MCB's or RCBOS, so makes alignment awkward. you often have to pry the components with a screwdriver to get the cover back on!

Hager, never had a problem, if budget allows its my go to, Schneider make good stuff, not too pricey and nice to work with.
MK and Wylex are pretty run of the mill and reliable but tend to be over priced and trade on the name.
if you want cheap but half decent then steeple and the rexel own brands are a good starting point.

the IET has gone mad on spuds ,will you be put in king Eddie potato's in that or not .
Nah Buzz Maris Pipers are the best according to the Spud Mistress (Mrs Pete999) knows more about Spuds than most people I have come across, mind you She is part Irish, they have a thing about Spuds, don't they?

snap ,never fight with a Irish person in the kitchen ,cause you will come off worse with frying pan has a helmet.:D
My Mrs don't need any frying Pan Buzz, a sauce pan, bag of Spuds 7th heaven, brilliant chips mind you, best I've tasted.

Reply to Consumer Units? Is there any difference between manufacturers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net