Discuss continuity of cpc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

flukey

-
Reaction score
hi all,
got some testing to do where there are some large expensive looking light fittings that i would rather not remove for testing;)

what methods do you use to get round this problem as i dont want to get caught up in an only fools and horses type moment:eek:

cheers in advance

If you are just checking cpc continuity then easiest way would be a long wander lead connected to MET or cpc bar in cu and to your then use the other to probe the fitting, assuming they are metal of course.

Or temp link in cu from mcb to cpc bar. then on to light fittings with switches on and probe fitting and try and get other probe into lamp holder for R1.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi jason.
need to get decent r1 r2 reading without dismantling but although fittings look expensive i dont think they will be metal construction

Are the circuits looped at the switch or behind the fitting?

Sounds like a difficult situation you have.

If its for a PIR then you may have to mark it done on the test sheet as a limitation explaining why.

Other than that, im afraid your only other option is to take the fittings down, or maybe get the client to do it?

If you explain the reasons why, you may find them fairly accommodating.

Like Jason said ask them to take down the fitting only so that you can test (they don't have to touch the electrical side) or alternatively explain the work that has to be carried out and get them to sign something to cover you for any damage that may result in the removal of the fittings?

hi jason.
need to get decent r1 r2 reading without dismantling but although fittings look expensive i dont think they will be metal construction

can you not use one of them lightmates that everyone was talking about?
Its unlikely that you will have to dismantle the fitting.Most have a sort of cowl covering the ceiling rose,just drop this down to access connector block.Or maybe its on the landing and you can access ceiling rose/jb from roof void.Or maybe it DOES have an only fools and horses type winch.Are you sure that this fitting is at the end of circuit?

hi mrloy. its ground floor lighting and all the lights have same sort of fitting. cover not removable. the 2 screws going through cover are holding the light to the ceiling.

hi mrloy. its ground floor lighting and all the lights have same sort of fitting. cover not removable. the 2 screws going through cover are holding the light to the ceiling.

Recording as LIM sounds like the way foreward then if its a double insulated fitting,and you can't get to the earth.Maybe you could take your reading at the switch,if you don't want to risk the fitting.

funny you should say that mrloy, just flicking through gn3 and noticed on page 35 that the r1 r2 reading is in fact being taken at the switch.:confused:

never noticed that diagram before because ive always taken reading at the fitting as that was the way i was taught, but thinking logically the switch would be the extremities of r1 r2 would it not.:confused::confused:

would certainly make my life easier:)

At the switch is fine.

You could also do the loop test using 2 wire method if the MCB will hold.

Could always swap it out for something bigger if not whilst you do the test.

I thought you needed to get behind the fitting.

Wander lead will only be any good if they are metal fittings and not class II

Last edited by a moderator:
hi jason.
never said i needed to get behind the fitting, just asked for alternative methods like the one thats now been highlighted.

we were advised against testing at the switch even on my 2391 but thinking about it logically the switch is the furthest point and if you get continuity reading there then all is well in the fitting.:confused:

obviously would wander lead the fitting as well if it was needed, but now i am questioning why we are taught to test at the fitting at all

can open, worms everywhere;)

hi jason.
never said i needed to get behind the fitting, just asked for alternative methods like the one thats now been highlighted.

I realise that now ive re read your OP:rolleyes:

What you say about testing at the switch and it being fine at the fitting is not always the case, however if you test EVERY switch and you are sure its the last switch on the circuit then you can be sure all is ok.

Exactly the same as testing at the last fitting.

ive had a similar problem before, the switch isnt usually the highest r1r2 value as the switched live at the fitting adds those extra few metres from the switch, but wouldnt have thought it would be by a very noticable amount? well not enough to go through the hassle of removing fittings. is this end of line?

thats exactly how ive always seen it whensbait. i reckon thats another cock up in gn3 but it would certainly be the way to go in my predicament.

thats exactly how ive always seen it whensbait. i reckon thats another cock up in gn3 but it would certainly be the way to go in my predicament.

OK consider this example I have just made up.
I have a circuit 50 metres long.
resistance of copper at 20 degrees(all approximate to illustrate example)
1.5mmsq =12 milliohms/metre
1.0mmsq =18 milliohms/metre
so 1.5/1.0 t+e =30 milliohms/metre
Now if I measure at ceiling rose (line side,forgetting about switch drops for a moment) R1+R2=50x30=1500 mohm or 1.5ohms
So,say we have a distance to switch of 10m
we would now have to add the switch wire lengths to get reading at ceiling rose.:12x20=240mohm +1500=1740 or 1.74ohms
Now if I measure at the switch( only one leg of twin)
we would have to add( 12x10=120 )+(18x10=180)=300mohm+1500=1800
or 1.8ohms. So it looks like the switch in this example wins.

Of course if we are using loop tester we should bear in mind Jasons advice that we may need a circuit neutral when testing thru rcds.;)

i am completely with you mrloy;)

not sure if i have missed something but i checked in my on site guide today and the testing method in there has been changed to measuring at the switch instead of the fitting too.:confused:

brown book shows fitting, red book shows switch:confused::confused:

perhaps i wasnt paying attention when i did my 2391 in july last year but that was to the 17th and i tested at the fittings on my practical when surely i should have tested at the switches according to gn3 and osg:confused::confused:

I thought the brown book showed it at the switch as well?

Still, now you know testing at the switch is ok!
:)

Reply to continuity of cpc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock