Discuss continuity of cpc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Interesting that they have now moved to the switch.

I agree with testing there as i would have thought, that would be the furthest point on the circuit at the last ceiling rose, but then i guess it depends on how the installation was wired.

hi jason
they kept that one quiet. i agree its best at switch too and will certainly make my life easier

I was always taught to take readings at all and record the highest reading which should be at the furthest end of the circuit i.e. switch

If a higher reading was obtained which wasn't at the furthest point then further investigation is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, however, most electricians never go round all of the fittings and switches to see which has the highest value on a PIR, even though they should.

i was allways told to test at the pendant never the switch, like people have said it all depends on which way its wired.

hi bahco
thats how i was taught too. the question is now whats the reasoning for the method to be changed in osg and gn3. can only summise that as its continuity of cpc the furthest point will be the switch not the pendant irrespective of how its wired.

well if that is the case then why have they only realised that now?

they need to make there mind up! haha probably just doing it to **** us off :)

Just reading through the bits in the OSG it says:

'test between line and earth at each point in the circuit'.

So that includes fittings and switches.

So they havent really changed their minds like we thought.

thats what it said in the old book too.

why would they change the diagram then :confused:

as per previous post, thinking logically the switch is the end of the line for the cpc so perhaps like bahco says they must have just realised lol ;)

Last edited:
hi bahco
thats how i was taught too. the question is now whats the reasoning for the method to be changed in osg and gn3. can only summise that as its continuity of cpc the furthest point will be the switch not the pendant irrespective of how its wired.
If there is any doubt,both readings should be compared.There could be 2(or more)lights off the same switch,and in this case the higher reading is unlikely to be at the switch.

hello iv just rewired my house for on of me jobs for nic, i been testing continuity of cpc today on a lighting circuit suppying downstairs after iv linked out at the c/u thn connect my metre leads to cpc and switch line the reading im gettin for R1 + R2 is somethin like 0.67 witch is fine but when i comfirm polarity by flickin the switch im gettin a terrific value somethin like 88.9 ohms lol i always thought there was ment to be no reading at all as the switch is closed, or am i just pickin up the resistence of the cable??? im gettin the same sort of thing when comfirmin polarity for landing light swiched upstaires and downstairs with strappers.

also theres a garage suppy feeding 4 socket outlets and 3 lights when messuring Zs do i take the reading frm the fuse spur suppyin the equiptment?
any help would be great cheers

hello iv just rewired my house for on of me jobs for nic, i been testing continuity of cpc today on a lighting circuit suppying downstairs after iv linked out at the c/u thn connect my metre leads to cpc and switch line the reading im gettin for R1 + R2 is somethin like 0.67 witch is fine but when i comfirm polarity by flickin the switch im gettin a terrific value somethin like 88.9 ohms lol i always thought there was ment to be no reading at all as the switch is closed, or am i just pickin up the resistence of the cable??? im gettin the same sort of thing when comfirmin polarity for landing light swiched upstaires and downstairs with strappers.

also theres a garage suppy feeding 4 socket outlets and 3 lights when messuring Zs do i take the reading frm the fuse spur suppyin the equiptment?
I think the furthest light,as it would be the extremity of the circuit.
As for your r1,r2 readings,when my meter leads are short circuited it shows 00.0 and open circuit 1(scale to 200) What readings do you get on megohm scale.(I think you meant to say switch is open)

funny you should say that mrloy, just flicking through gn3 and noticed on page 35 that the r1 r2 reading is in fact being taken at the switch.:confused:

never noticed that diagram before because ive always taken reading at the fitting as that was the way i was taught, but thinking logically the switch would be the extremities of r1 r2 would it not.:confused::confused:

would certainly make my life easier:)
i would say that switch line to earth at fitting would be the extremities as the feed go from fitting to switch then back co fitting

hi i testin the insullation resistence on megohm scale set at 500v and tht was all fine the only probley i had wos a dead short on the garage supply between neutrel and earth it was doin me head thn when i went to do Zs i forgot the luminare wos still fitted, i best not do tht on me assessment or the N I C guy will send me straight to hell lol

Hey mate.

You would need to measure Zs at - your consumer unit, the socket outlet circuit and the lighting circuit within the garage, not quite sure what you mean with the fuse spur supplying the equipment bit.

Can you clarify?

Cheers.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to switch vs fitting - for a loop in wiring - would have expected R2 to be greatest at switch, as extra CPC from fitting to switch, but R1 greatest at fitting as have to add phase path to and back from switch. So for this arrangement, in 1mm, the fitting should be greater by the resistance of the length of a single cable from fitting to switch, but in 1.5/1.0 this drops to 0.5 of this. But if it's JB wired the relative distances come into play, and any other arrangement can give either as max, so you really do need to measure both unless you are sure how its wired.
Jack

Reply to continuity of cpc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock