Discuss Controlling 120v VS pump with a dimmer switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. The variable speed switch on our old jacuzzi recently broke. The 120V 11.5amp 50/60hz motor is still functional but parts are no longer available. I tied the switch wires (see pic) and was able to control the speed using a 120v 60hz household dimmer placed directly on the line feeding the pump but am curious about the durability/safety of this choice or if there's a better option. We're replacing the tub next year.

Thanks.

Attachments

• pump dimmer.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Tied switch wires.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Assuming the dimmer is this one :
I don't think it's up to the job.
It's rated at 600W for a resistive load, which equates to 5A at 120V.
You have I think a bit of an inductive load, which as you point out can be up to 11.5A, more than double the rating of the dimmer.
If you want to do this, I would suggest you seek a controller designed for that load, but hacking a circuit on a hot tub with non-original parts is a big safety responsibility, and I would not do it if other perople were going to use the tub!

Reply to Controlling 120v VS pump with a dimmer switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Ferrets are known for being small, resourceful, and incredibly clever. They can solve many problems by fitting into tight spaces and doing jobs us...
Replies
Views
I have a ceiling fan which currently has a remote control for fan speed and dimming the attached lights. We're currently doing some works in the...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I recently bought two motorized Dremel 6000 contour sanders from USA. The operating power stated on the sander is 120V 50-60Hz 1.15A I live...
Replies
Views
marcus9x9
M

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock