Discuss Convert two way switches to lightwave + extra light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TDrake

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at swapping over two regular switches to two Lightwave Gen 2 switches. The top part of the diagram below shows the current setup and below that shows what I'm thinking of doing. The 3 gang has two other lights wired to their own switches which are not in the diagram, converting those ones are easy enough though I think. There is a neutral to the light switches (there are a lot of cables jammed into the backbox of that 3 gang switch)
Convert two way switches to lightwave + extra light rewire - EletriciansForums.net
What I'm wanting to do here is reuse the 3-core to provide power from the ring to both the new Lightwave switch and a new light, is there any issue in doing this? With the Lightwave Gen 2 I believe the 2 way functionality is all done via software so there would be no need for the extra cable in the 3-core, is there a proper way to isolate it? It will be dead but do I need to tape up the end or cut the exposed copper off?

Thanks for the help.

Best thing to do with the spare is to put a connector on it. Just in case it needs used in the future if you revert back to standard 2 way switches.
Cutting it short will render it unusable.

Check your new switches as there is litewave and also LightwaveRF.

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. I have some 2 block wagos I can put on each end.

These are the LightwaveRF switches, I've fit a few already without much issue. This set of switches is a bit different as there is no live to the 1 gang so just wanted to check it's fine to repurpose the 3-core. I have some different colour electrical tape so can label them up correctly.

I’ve used LightwaveRF before, but maybe not the gen2 type.

I had to fix a customers where the two way switches came as a master and slave.
The third core was utilised as a low voltage signal wire.
The customer wasn’t aware of this and simply changed one two way switch and left the other as standard.
When the standard one was switched, it sent 230v mains voltage down the low v signal line and fried his expensive smart switch.

I believe the gen 2 uses radio frequency between the switches as the signal… they just both need power

The gen 2 don't require that kind of setup any more as far as I'm aware. I think you setup the master and slave via the app instead and they are kept in sync via the hub and software. The gen 2 switches just have a live + neutral terminal and a switched live for each switch.

Reply to Convert two way switches to lightwave + extra light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock