Discuss Cooker supply 12kw correct cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I meant from the outlet to the actual cooker, rather than from the OCPD to the isolator/outlet
I can’t recall seeing a domestic cooker/oven being able to take 10mm in its terminals
Why must it?
well if 6mm goes up to a total of 14/15kw and his is 17.7kw next cable up is 10mm and that’s a 40a breaker and obviously double cooker switch is rated at 45amps, might aswell do 10mm from the load to cooker aswell. My personal choice.

If you use diversity then 17.7kw cooker comes out around 30A so in general 6mm2 is going to be fine imo.
True, but you charge the customer the extra money for the bigger size cable and it’s no real difference running it in. Even though it comes out at 30a I’d say you were pushing the boundaries. Nothing wrong with what your saying, just rather chuck a 10mm in. If I would of known my customer was putting in 12kw cooker (hense my original post) I would of put a 10mm in.... peace of mind I guess

We've just had a new 'range' style cooker installed, primarily 'cos the old one was rubbish, and the door wouldn't close.

The old one was about 2.2kW (total), and connected with the manufacturers 1.5mm flex to a 10mm 45amp supply. I chose the install/disposal method 'cos it had gas hobs, and they can hump old & new about.

The new one has a total load of 8.6kW, and you can have all elements on at the same time. Now I was quite comfortable with the old set up, and would of been happy connecting new oven to 6mm 32amp supply.

Come installation day, engineer commented old connection was wrong, and he had to check I had a 10mm 40amp supply for the new one. He also used a bit of 10mm tw&e from cooker outlet to oven.

I've been meaning to clamp the thing on start up, just to see how many amps its pulling and for how long. But, somehow I don't think 6mm would of been a problem.

Come installation day, engineer tick box muppet commented old connection was wrong, and he had to check I had a 10mm 40amp supply for the new one. He also used a bit of 10mm tw&e from cooker outlet to oven.

corrected that 4U.

Come installation day, engineer tick box muppet commented old connection was wrong, and he had to check I had a 10mm 40amp supply for the new one. He also used a bit of 10mm tw&e from cooker outlet to oven.

corrected that 4U.

I was being polite. He said he was gas safe whatever (hope he was, 'cos he connected gas) and ..........what for it.............'Part P'dd' until last year, when his company stopped registering them.

I've been meaning to clamp the thing on start up, just to see how many amps its pulling and for how long.

Well really bored and run out of upload_2017-12-18_15-57-28.jpeg So decided to clamp our 8.6kW cooker. Now meter's bit of a cheapie, and probably needs calibrating. But here's what I got on 244V; 39.4A.

By my calcu's should of been tad over 35A. Run it for a min or so, to allow things to settle.

Well really bored and run out of View attachment 39827 So decided to clamp our 8.6kW cooker. Now meter's bit of a cheapie, and probably needs calibrating. But here's what I got on 244V; 39.4A.

By my calcu's should of been tad over 35A. Run it for a min or so, to allow things to settle.

It takes more than a minute for the thermostats to start cutting out and back in which gives the diversity in the cooker.

Diversity takes in to account the fact that when cooking you don’t turn everything on at once, different things take different times to cook so in real use not all elements are switched on at once.

Hasn’t took diversity into account... he’s just done 8600/240 which isn’t correct.... but mainly causes he’s ran out of beer

But he's just done what he suggested... "'I've been meaning to clamp the thing on start up, just to see how many amps its pulling and for how long"...

Okay so I couldn't be arse'd to stand out in the cold for your aresholes to allow the thermostats to cut in etc. Point I was trying to make was worst case situation, was max amps. Still be happy to connect to 32A 6mm supply. Jesus opps Holy Mary, cripes just be a bit more little horizontal you lot, its Xmas :rolleyes:

Okay so I couldn't be arse'd to stand out in the cold for your aresholes to allow the thermostats to cut in etc. Point I was trying to make was worst case situation, was max amps. Still be happy to connect to 32A 6mm supply. Jesus opps Holy Mary, cripes just be a bit more little horizontal you lot, its Xmas :rolleyes:
you might notice that i made no comment on your previous post so far.
39A...........

showing----.gif

I'm with you Middy. Except the running out of beer bit - do try harder!

Reply to Cooker supply 12kw correct cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net