Discuss Cooker wiring 13a or dp/so switch? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, total novice here but I really need help with this. Any input would be much appreciated. We recently moved house and the cooker in said house is ancient and costing us a fortune, so has to be changed so the existing cooker is wired to a double or single poled switch? I think? See picture.. The cooker we have in mind is under 1kw and instructions state to be wired to a 13a spur. Is the switch that's there OK and I can connect it using this existing (very thick) cable? Or do we need to put in a new spur? From what I've read the switch that is there is for heavier usage cookers but is it OK and safe to wire a new cooker too? Thanks in advance guys

Cooker wiring 13a or dp/so switch? 15569985391928643254113109829467 - EletriciansForums.net

behind the cooker you should find a cooker outlet point. this can be changed for a 13A FCU (spur) with no alterations to existing wiring. just be a bit awkward to get the 6mm cables in the FCU terminals but feasible.

Don't see it, if it's there it's not reachable (behind unit) so the existing set up (rcd or dp/sp switch) won't do? Is there another way to sort this? I'll see if I can get to it by taking out the backing of the unit but might not be possible, suppose I could always cut in between the cooker and the outlet point and put a spur in between or is that a bad idea? Are you saying there are two switches? The one in the picture and another one following that? Sorry for all the questions haha

If your new small cooker has a pre-fitted flex then this will almost certainly be of a cross section unsuitable for the (probably) 32A circuit supplying the switch pictured. Telectrix's solution above is ideal, as it introduces a 13A fuse, but as he says getting the ?6mm existing cables connected neatly might be a struggle, especially if the existing box is not very deep.
A work-around might be to keep the existing cooker connection unit, but - and this is important - change the breaker supplying the circuit to a 16A device.

OK so I can't get to the outlet can't even see it, what's the best course of action. Thanks for your patience lads, hang on, yes we do have a hob and they are I think both connected into some sort of outlet (see picture below) does this make things clearer? What do I do here? Thanks again lads

Cooker wiring 13a or dp/so switch? 15570078903771096038530524223554 - EletriciansForums.net

Andy, if your current oven & hob is wired via this junction box, then get an electrician in to sort it out. Shouldn’t take no more than hour plus parts to sort out, for your peace of mind, it’s a small price to pay.

Reply to Cooker wiring 13a or dp/so switch? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock