Discuss Couple o queries an a whinge, from an old timer! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

lurch

-
Reaction score
Hi

I have been out of the industry for a few years and just getting back in. I have sat and passed the 17th which I am pleased about, however a little concerning as there were a number of "students" that clearly were not from an electrical background! I found this a little insulting as I spent 41/2 years as an apprentice, and now can see other trades sitting a 3 day course and passing the 17th edition exam, which "qualifies" then along side me. Worrying also, as from my pesrspective learning to drive the book, as the 3 day course does, assists someone to get through a 60 question multi choice exam, does not qualify someone to be an electrician. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but having a whinge like you do some times!!

I have a couple of quetsions that hopefully someone can clear up for me:

I now see that socket outlets now come in single pole and double pole switched, can someone clarify what the reasoning is for this?

Also I seem to recall earth straps coming in different colours depending if gas or water. can some one clarify please.

I believe there is an industry standard that should be followed regarding the number of socket outlets in a dwelling. Can some one advise. Also is there now a standard as to the heights of sockets and switches from finished floor level?

Thanks in advance

o/s/g tables 8B page 162
o/s/g 8.6 page 161
( sockets-outlets and controls throught the dwelling in accessible positions at a height of between 450mm )
and ( 1200mm from the finished floor level light switches

mmmm, I'm assuming o/s/g = on site guide, which I do not have . I have the NIC EIC practical gide and the Big Red Book. Could you point me in the direction within either of these two publications please.

Sockets are now available in double pole. No different apart from they are safer.

Never seen gas and water bonds being anything other than green (old regs) but now must be green/yellow.

The standards for switches and socket heights are for new builds only, between 450mm & 1200mm above ffl. Not even major extensions need to meet this requirement.

By the sounds of it you need to get a current edition of the onsite guide and Electricians Guide to the Building Regs.

Must have tools!

Sockets are now available in double pole. No different apart from they are safer. - ok, so where would one use a double pole sso over a single pole? is there a reg that states this please

Never seen gas and water bonds being anything other than green (old regs) but now must be green/yellow. - I can confirm the instructor in recent a course advised there are colour codes that should be adhered to. If someone can point me in the direction in the Big Red book I would appreciate it.

The standards for switches and socket heights are for new builds only, between 450mm & 1200mm above ffl. Not even major extensions need to meet this requirement.

By the sounds of it you need to get a current edition of the onsite guide and Electricians Guide to the Building Regs. - Agreed, but in the interim that is why I am asking the question on this forum.. . .. I thought that is what this forum is for

Must have tools!
- As I said I have been out of the industry for a while, and looking for some support from those that are closer to the industry over the last 10 years. . . . . as I am sure you know your tool box builds up over time.

oops. . . try this. . .

Sockets are now available in double pole. No different apart from they are safer. - ok, so where would one use a double pole sso over a single pole? is there a reg that states this please

Never seen gas and water bonds being anything other than green (old regs) but now must be green/yellow. - I can confirm the instructor in recent a course advised there are colour codes that should be adhered to. If someone can point me in the direction in the Big Red book I would appreciate it.

By the sounds of it you need to get a current edition of the onsite guide and Electricians Guide to the Building Regs. - Agreed, but in the interim that is why I am asking the question on this forum.. . .. I thought that is what this forum is for

Last edited:
Hey lurch.

With regard to the colour coding of earth clamps, the only two that I've ever heard of are red and blue.

Red = clean and dry conditions
Blue = all other i.e damp, dusty.

Socket outlets have been available in double pole for a long time now, it's down to preference and cost as to which you use. Personally I always use double pole

Cheers.

With regards to the earth straps (red and blue i seem to recall)one is for use internally one is for use externally ie outside gas meter .sorry not sure which way round they are

Hi Lurch

Nice to see someone in the same boat as myself! I did the same course as you plus the inspection and testing for which I failed the practical - see this post if it's of any interest:

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...orum/4522-2391-practical-gone-60-seconds.html

One of the replies that really wound me up stated "it is still basically proving how you would operate in the real world" - this from someone who doesn't know me - unbelievable. It was enough to make me back off regarding posting so I can understand your frustrations.

I remember when I was an apprentice (4 years) the electricians then were moaning because some of them had done 7 year apprenticeships! The course which allow people to be domestic installers are woefully inadequate to take someone from nothing to spark in 4 weeks. The problems will come when faults occur because proper fault finding only comes from experience and the ability to use test instruments to their full extent.

Good luck out there and if it's any consolation, since putting the word around to a few people I know during the last 3 weeks I have picked up about £5k of work the first job starting tomorrow. It's gonna be strange going back to big volts.

Cheers, Ron

1/ There is no reg that states switched double pole socket outlets must be used.

2/ 514.4.2

3/ Already answered by several people.

4/"Agreed, but in the interim that is why I am asking the question on this forum.. . .. I thought that is what this forum is for." I do not appreciate this kind of attitude considering the amount of time that many people (myself included) spend on this forum trying to help people with their queries.

Agreed, if someone sugest you get a copy of the onsite guide, take there advice, i was told this, i did, and now I know the answers to many of my questions.
Regards.

Hey Lenny and Scott

Yes that seems to ring a bell re: the earth straps. Thx.

Ron, interesting post. I'm kinda waiting to get back in the fold before I take on the test and inspecting exam. However, there is certainly a massive change in the right direction in testing and inspecting in my opinion.

Jason, I have been accesing this site for a few weeks now and it has been very informative, and seems to be well run/moderated. I do not consider myself as having attitude, but just someone after some information and I think this forum provides the best short term solution for me. I do intend getting the OSG, but at the time of taking the 17th course this wasnt suggested as the best option but the NIC EIC guide. So please dont take any of the above as attitude.

I notice your from the Suny South. I am also based on the south coast - Southampton. If your in the area drop me a line and I would be more than comfortable to catch up, and talk with fellow Sparks regarding where the industry is going with curent legislation an' stuff.

Rgds
Lurch

Jason, I have been accesing this site for a few weeks now and it has been very informative, and seems to be well run/moderated. I do not consider myself as having attitude, but just someone after some information............ So please dont take any of the above as attitude.

Rgds
Lurch

You may or may not be familiar with forums etc, but it is a hard place to get 'emotions' across in text, hence the smilies in the advanced reply box.

I would probably recommend you give em a try:)

You may or may not be familiar with forums etc, but it is a hard place to get 'emotions' across in text, hence the smilies in the advanced reply box.

I would probably recommend you give em a try:)

will do :D

oh for all those out there the colour coding for earth srtaps is :

Red - internal. Blue - External, Green - Damp or corrosive

Rgs
Lurch

Reply to Couple o queries an a whinge, from an old timer! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock