• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Covid-19 How are we doing? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anyone feeling unwell?

• I am as healthy as ever

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • I am unwell with suspected covid 19

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have had it and recovered

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • A member of my family has had it or is currently unwell

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I know someone who has died from it

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Also playing lots of Minecraft, making a slime farm and digging out 4 chunks down to bedrock.
The kids have just got 'Just Dance 2019' on the PS4 so they are dancing in the living room with thier phones in their hands. It uses their phones to track their moves.
We got every Just Dance since it started 10(?) years ago for the old Wii... still thinking about replacing the living room pendant with a clik rose I can remove so it doesn’t get battered
( in Scotland... everything’s battered!)
I wouldn’t like using a phone instead of the controller.... sometimes they let go!

We just found out that the ice rink I take my girls to in the winter is having a marquee built in the car park to be used as a possible mortuary. (If needed)
Place isn’t used in the summer, but that’s one way to repurpose the equipment.

Is anybody still working? Been on another forum, and some there think it’s ok for tradespersons to work in people’s properties on non essential work.

Having read the government guidance, I’m of the view only essential repairs or maintenance is allowed in people’s homes.

Whats the consensus here?

Repairs or maintenance. Does not mean a planned rewire or new kitchen or whatever.

There were questions earlier in the thread asking what would be counted as “essential”

no power, or no heating/ hot water... essential
Socket fried, or cut cables... essential
Pendant down, Ikea fitting put up... non essential.

it’s common sense.

you don’t know if the customer, or other trades are as conscientious as you might be concerning cleanliness. And masks, PPE, wipe downs with anti bac are no substitute to staying in your own house, away from everyone else.

Repairs or maintenance. Does not mean a planned rewire or new kitchen or whatever.

There were questions earlier in the thread asking what would be counted as “essential”

no power, or no heating/ hot water... essential
Socket fried, or cut cables... essential
Pendant down, Ikea fitting put up... non essential.

it’s common sense.

you don’t know if the customer, or other trades are as conscientious as you might be concerning cleanliness. And masks, PPE, wipe downs with anti bac are no substitute to staying in your own house, away from everyone else.
You’d be surprised at what some are arguing, possibly because they are tradesperson working in someones house or want tradespersons doing work in them. Do despair.

However, had to get our washing machine fixed. Repair company wanted COViD related questions answered. When bloke turned up, we had to have all touch surfaces cleaned, leave him in closed room alone. He then wiped all surfaces he touched (apparently) before he left.

All the while the government uses ambiguous terms like maintenance the self employed will continue to define it themselves...and who can blame someone with bills to pay and nothing coming till June, I’d say the government left it that way because they knew no money was coming, I’m not blaming them for that they need to design an implement an entire new system of handling out tax payers money at a time when they were probably under staffed, they couldn’t exactly order all non emergency works to stop and offer no money, but at the same time you can’t blame someone with nothing and nothing coming doing what they need to do...

I can’t comment on the money side of things; not in that position now, but have been.

But let’s not deny what that guidance is saying. It’s down to numbers and preventing the spread of the virus and the impact it could have on the NHS. Lets not forget, that while the virus is causing havoc, other illnesses & disease carry on.

Lets hope enough follow the guidance, to make an impact.

Is anybody still working? Been on another forum, and some there think it’s ok for tradespersons to work in people’s properties on non essential work.

Having read the government guidance, I’m of the view only essential repairs or maintenance is allowed in people’s homes.

Whats the consensus here?

Absolutely not working unless an emergency.

Had quite a few calls this week though. "my decking lights trip every time I turn them on" Well don't turn them on then.

"Hi I'm moving up from London and fancied an inspection on my new flat before I move in" For what reason ? "Just wanted it done" Nope.

"Hi my light switch trips the board when I put it on. I've had a go myself, well I've not really"
What do you mean ?
"well the plasterer had a go at fixing it as he took it off in the first place then the plumber had a go but now none of the lights work"
Sorry, you've had all of these people working in your house ?
"Yeah they'll be here when you come as well as my family but we'll all just work round each other somehow."
No I don't think so.

It's one long ----ing bank holiday for all the idiots out there.

"Hi I'm moving up from London and fancied an inspection on my new flat before I move in" For what reason ? "Just wanted it done" Nope.

Could you not of just parked up side of the flat filled out the forms and charge £250 £500 (london tax)!

Could you not of just parked up side of the flat filled out the forms and charge £250 £500 (london tax)!
Probably yes. Not my style though.

Probably the best way, the traffic wardens are out in force here handing out parking tickets like they are flyers! More damn bills to pay.:mad: I wish I'd taken a photo, the sea of windscreen stickers was something else.
Essential worker’s apparently then, it’s hard to take it seriously when they can keep on working isn’t it...?

What’s the problem with traffic wardens working?
They can’t work from home, and they can work observing the distancing rules....
just because there’s a pandemic, doesn’t mean people can park where they like.

Probably the best way, the traffic wardens are out in force here handing out parking tickets like they are flyers!
They're probably 'parking attendants' paid by the council on a commission basis... so if they ain't issuing tickets, they ain't earning !

Makes you wonder why there’s so many cars being parked legally or otherwise, essential travel etc etc.

Have you seen that piece about people speeding on roads, because of so little traffic, 80 in a 30 etc.

Have you seen that piece about people speeding on roads, because of so little traffic, 80 in a 30 etc.
Yes some of the driving around here has been appalling. Some drivers have been driving so fast or accelerating so hard it is clear they are not in full control of their cars by they way the car starts to fishtail. 2 looked as if they were exceeding 100mph in 40 and 50 zones. And a few days ago I nearly had an accident with a lorry driver who was driving on the wrong side of the road. No idea how far he got but looking down the road he passed all the 'keep left' bollards on the right.

Reply to Covid-19 How are we doing? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back